Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speechless - Tax Disc - Unpaid Tax

SD Regular

Speechless - Tax Disc - Unpaid Tax

Do "these people" actually get paid to come up with this nonsense?

So, guess what, untaxed veicles use has doubled, the loss in revenue is now thre nad a half up to a projected eight times the supposed efficiency savings that the DVLA boasted about and, of course, no one other than the police now knows if a vehicle you encounter in an accident is either taxed (or by implication) uninsured. Pure genius.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34933962

"They (DVLA) use a network of cameras to see which vehicles are untaxed and then contact the owner"

thats great assuming the "owner" on their system is in fact the current owner and not the person who sold the car previously.

Not only the fixed motorway cameras check for tax & insurance, but also mobile "speed cameras" check tax,insurance etc via PNC. I've no doubt you can avoid paying tax, but it'll catch you in the end. All you have to is not pay/ pay late at a car that uses NPR cameras and it'll all add up. Eventually you'll float to the top of the list and you'll be a 'person of interest'. I'm hoping that the list will be getting shorter now they've decided not to cut the police budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Treedave View Post
    Not only the fixed motorway cameras check for tax & insurance, but also mobile "speed cameras" check tax,insurance etc via PNC. I've no doubt you can avoid paying tax, but it'll catch you in the end. All you have to is not pay/ pay late at a car that uses NPR cameras and it'll all add up. Eventually you'll float to the top of the list and you'll be a 'person of interest'. I'm hoping that the list will be getting shorter now they've decided not to cut the police budgets.
    Unfortunately even if you stop a car with no tax all that happens is the DVLA is notified and they contact the registered owner regarding payment, fine if the registered owner is the actual owner but more often than not that isn't the case. Even then the DVLA will only actively follow up on cases like this if the tax is unpaid for 6 months or more. As with a lot of things in the UK, if you are law abiding and fear doing the wrong thing you will pay through the nose to compensate for those who choose to live life on the wrong side of the line.

One last point, the police budgets aren't not getting cut, they're just not being cut even further than they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Treedave View Post
    i drove aroudn for 9 months unknowingly untaxed (I had cancelled and cashed in a couple of tax discs on cars I had for a short time including the wrong one!)

I drove from edinburgh to London at least three times, each time through the camera infested CC zone.
    I live in a city pass camera units reularly
    have a 5 digit reg number so its pretty bloody obvious.

how did I find out?
    a mobile DVLA van driving round the houses

came to nothing but imagine if I had a prang

would I have had recourse to implicate the DVLA in not notifying me?

would I bollox

ANPR cameras only work on the law abiding as most of these schemes do. The criminals just clone the number plate of a similar vehicle, far easier than stealing or forging a tax disc.

Very true or most common is to just not bother to register it, use it for 6 months without tax, insurance etc then sell it on to an unsuspecting member of public to then deal with all the letters and grief from the DVLA once they actually register it.

The cloned plates thing is often why you will get stopped if you're a long way from home by the police as the cloned plates just come from a search on Autotrader for a same make model and year as the stolen car and a few quid for "show plates" and you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    ANPR cameras only work on the law abiding .
    but that is my point....they dont! work that is!

There was nothing wrong with the tax disc system to start with, you knew if your car was taxed and also others could physically see if yours and any other vehicles were taxed. It was pretty obvious that this was going to happen, with a mixture of confusion and a lot of people just plainly taking advantage of the fact that you can't obviously tell if their cars are now taxed....One thing is for certain, the powers to be will never admit what a huge blunder they have made and resort back to the older system.

I was talking to a mate who's a cop about the very same thing...., he told me, if I had any doubts about the MOT or Tax status of any vehicle, to have a look here....IMHO, we ( the public) are probs doing their job for them now....

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/