Thread: Turkey Hunting Chair ??

Turkey Hunting Chair ??

I have been looking for a lightweight, folding low chair with a tubular frame and backrest.

I want to use it for sitting in wait in woodland at ride or path junctions for Muntjac and Roe, where my Idleback chair is either too tall or too heavy to carry the distance.

Needs to be comfortable enough for a couple of hours stint.

The type with individual feet can be difficult, owing to the soft peat of the woodland floor, particularly in winter. Even with my patent jam-jar lids deployed as mud-feet.

I have been looking at the Browning (and others) Turkey Hunters Low seat, which would seem to fit the bill, however they are all in the USA and can be rather expensive by the time one accounts for all the delights of shipping, tax etc.

If a member has one of these chairs, I would appreciate your opinion of it. Also if anyone knows of a similar, suitable product ?

I made my own folding X seat, the swatch is made from rip stop, 16mm box on the X legs 16mm tube for the top cross bars and some flat for the bottom braces.
    2 off 6mm stainless bolts for the pivot.
    Had all the other shitty seats which went in the bin years ago....

It took under 20mins to make, just find a car trimmer to make the swatch.

Then you get what you want at the height, footprint you need.......

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

SD Regular
    Hi Uncle Norm! Maybe take a trip to Gilder's or any other fishing shop that caters for such folks and look at carp fishermen's chairs. They are robust, light weight, green. And made for big fat lardbelly fishermen with wide backsides. So they'll be well over engineered for someone of your fit and healthy dimensions. Carp stuff like chairs will have been equipped with adjustable feet, adjustable backs are as these guys sit for hours very comfortable. Gosh it might even have cup holder recesses for those insulated mugs of soup they consume at their pastime!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 26-11-2015 at 22:17.

ave a look at Dragon Carp Direct ,he,s got a shop at Hucknall ,Notts and 3 or 4 around Skegvegas.Me n her got two folding chairs for 20 quid each and 6 years later theyre still good.Adjustable legs so high or low is upto your needs and mud feet about 1" round .or my other is one of the folding chair rucksacks from Home bargins.9.99 and a big enough pouch for your knife,rope and gloves.atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

From what I took out of the request for advice/experience, a few pictures of seats I and a mate use.
    We shoot all year from stubble, drillings, marsh...etc

The perfect seat has never been made, they all fail at some point regarding weight, size, hard to carry....

When I am out for deer, only the sticks and rifle, unless up in a high seat

For 6/7 hrs decoying pigeons then I use my favourite brown seat...
    Modified the green one for my mate as he would complain of a sore back using cheap shop bought seats..
    The white one is very light but needs a soft pad, it was shower seat that was surplus to requirements..
    My X fold up seat gets used for allsorts...
    The last one is a prototype for a short concept production run I made years ago, fantastic in ditches, against trees..

One thing is the foot print....no jam jar lids or cup holders...

Tim.243

Get on pigeon shooting forums and buy a Bergora stag shooting chair (77). It is just brilliant and has all the features you have specified.

Got my last x mas and use it for pigeon shooting, even comes with its own carry case. There are u tube reviews on it if you look.

Quality build and best thought out chair I have ever seen. If you pm me an e mail can send pictures.

D

SD Regular
    They look so comfortable, the Argos ones, that some here run a real risk of falling to sleep in them!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    They look so comfortable, the Argos ones, that some here run a real risk of falling to sleep in them!
    I would recon this is an age thing, not the need to stay alert.......

Tim.243

Thanks Gents for taking the time to respond and the suggestions.

As a result I have been looking at a couple of anglers 'low chairs' marketed by Chubb and Daiwa. I have found that my local tackle shop stocks the Daiwa chair so will be able to try one and if suitable, buy locally.

I have tried the Bergara chair, which seems very popular for pigeon shooting. Unfortunately even at it's lowest setting, it is too high for my purpose. Also it has four separate feet that could be a problem on the wet peat. One of our DMG members has just bought one, so perhaps he will let me have a sit on it.

Tim.243. Thanks for the pictures. I have often admired your fabrication skills. I am afraid my 'skills' do not extend to knocking a nail in straight, so metal work is a mysterious art to me.

Thanks again. Best regards.