Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farmers Sub's.

search RSPB - will make your eyes water

If you think that's bad check Severn trent, the water company. I knew they hold a lot of farm land but they must be claiming on land that tenants rent. Can they do that, rent out the land but claim subsidies etc?

There's all sorts of thing that u used to could do. There is a new revamped 1 coming in at the moment that is meant to shut a lot of the loopholes so it goes with the land, not sure if it has thou

For the old system it often went to whoever was farming the ground in around 2000/01, some farmers came out soon after and been claiming the subsidy/SFP ever since as long as they rent some ground of same size (naked acre's, usually some rough hill gound up highlands/N scot) and who ever has farmed it since gets nowt.
    Complete con, the new system was meant to stop that.
    I doubt a water company would do that, possibly the ground is let as seasonal leases to farmers. But i thought the SFP was based on stock numbers/turnover (most dealers do well out of it) as well as acrege so not sure how water boards or RSPB get ti as doubt have stock in there name?
    But i'm no expert in it all

[QUOTE=rodp;1045629]If you think that's bad check Severn trent, the water company. I knew they hold a lot of farm land but they must be claiming on land that tenants rent. Can they do that, rent out the land but claim subsidies etc?[/QUOTE
    Yes

[QUOTE=Taff;1045777]
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    If you think that's bad check Severn trent, the water company. I knew they hold a lot of farm land but they must be claiming on land that tenants rent. Can they do that, rent out the land but claim subsidies etc?[/QUOTE
    Yes

Rip off again ?

also google 'rural subsidies and grants available'

there is a huge amount of money available for flora and fauna diversification, re-establishment and protection, many organisations will employ someone knowledgeable about these and skilful in successfully submitting proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    If you think that's bad check Severn trent, the water company. I knew they hold a lot of farm land but they must be claiming on land that tenants rent. Can they do that, rent out the land but claim subsidies etc?
    STW farm a lot of land themselves and I am sure they cannot claim on land let out. I am a tenant farmer and I hold the right to claim, not my landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    STW farm a lot of land themselves and I am sure they cannot claim on land let out. I am a tenant farmer and I hold the right to claim, not my landlord.
    Jimo, as you know from renting land, you will have had the BPS entitlements transferred to you in order to claim BPS for the duration of your tenancy. Some landowners grant FBT's without make the entitlements available to the incoming tenant. This usually means that the tenant pays less rent. On English non SDA land this equates roughly to the same value i.e. 70/ac. It is more problematic as it means the tenant should have to indemnify the Landowner for any breach in cross compliance or conditions in relation to els/hls etc.

It is rare on FBT's but normal where the land is being farmed by way of contract farming, cropping licence or share farming. This is usually to protect the landowner's claim for IHT relief through APR or BPR.

[QUOTE=rodp;1045806]
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post

Rip off again ?
    Not really. The if the farmer knows the landlord claims the sub then he offers less rent.