Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First stalking rifle

First stalking rifle

I am about to put in a variation on my fac to get a stalking rifle I'm not too sure which calibers my local fire arms department will grant , I was thinking of asking for a .270 or similar would this be granted do you think? By South Wales fire arms department

Calibre should be your choice, really, though lots of them seem to think it's theirs. What matters is your "good reason"; have you got land to shoot deer on (or permission to do so), or will it be paid stalking?

Do you know people with stalking rifles if so I would suggest you ask as many as possible if you can shoot at a target with them and get some feel for a variety of calibres and perceived recoil etc everyone will say such and such a calibre is best try and make your own mind up it my cost you a few pounds to pay for ammo used but could save in the long run.

Hiya, No body but you and the FEO can say if a 270 is suitable for you....it all depends on having the land and quarry that calls for that particular caliber. I've got a 270, it's for shooting on my syndicate place, and on my mates ground for Sika.. I also have a 243 for Roe and the occasional fox, and a 222 for foxes and the occasional Roe.

I love the 270, which i've only just recently bought....BUT, I also love my 243 and 222..I wouldn't say one is best, tho, I do have a preference.......

As Roedeered says, try and get a shot with a few different calibres....

It's a pity you aint closer, you';d be very welcome to try all of mine, see what you think....

I had the same thoughts on first application .243 or .270 and then i was offered a 6.5x55 by a friend (but application was in already) and went about checking out all three and the most available ammunition was the .243, The 6.5x55 was a no no right away as my local RFD had only 1 box of such n did not usually stock next the .243 was shelves full of that calibre, the .270 ammo was not a very lot as well. In the end the Powers that be decided that .243 was ample on my permissions and i didn't want to rock the boat too much as it was my first application ( a lot of things learned over the past couple of years and if only i knew what i know now). Try if possible as said by the others and see what feels right to you and even better in whatever type of rifle your thinking about getting as this mostly you cannot go wrong with, maybe some other members close to you could possibly help out. Hope you get sorted and Enjoy

Some very good advice here. That said if you want a 270 anything else might not match up. If you have a permission with the quarry on it to justify a 270 then you will be ok.

Joe are you a member of a full bore rifle club and would you intend to reload or simply buy factory ammo for your rifle?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I'm not a member of any rifle clubs as I don't know of any in my area , I will be buying ammo at first but I eventually intend on reloading myself, everyone I know has either a 243 or a 308 , I have a series of estates that I have access to and permission to shoot on however I will be doing paid stalks at first to be able to learn what I need off of the gides

Quote Originally Posted by Joe. View Post
    I'm not a member of any rifle clubs as I don't know of any in my area , I will be buying ammo at first but I eventually intend on reloading myself, everyone I know has either a 243 or a 308 , I have a series of estates that I have access to and permission to shoot on however I will be doing paid stalks at first to be able to learn what I need off of the gides
    In that case, book a paid stalk, get a receipt, give that as your good reason, and tell them you want a .308, if that's want you want, or a .270 if you prefer. It should be your choice, though, not theirs, as long as you'll be (at least sometimes) stalking the larger deer species.

Most experienced stalkers will tell you can happily use both on anything in the UK. (Including, in my view, smaller deer and foxes).

The estates I have access to only have red and fallow on them , I'd also like to hunt boar at some point abroad