Thread: Cabinet space and FAC application

Cabinet space and FAC application

Morning all!
    Just after some advice re cabinet space.

I'm about to apply for my FAC. .22LR (some areas noise sensitive/jumpy rabbits), .17HMR (often need to take longer rabbits/crows and hard clay ground with ricochet risk) and .243 (fox/deer) (hoping for the best here, first FAC, we'll see, been told it's worth just going for it, they can only say no, ground is already cleared for .243).

I currently have a 5 gun normal (not deep) brattonsound cabinet with 2 Shotguns in it. I've been offered a small ammo cabinet for free by a friend which I'll take. I'm now wondering about fitting the guns in.

Do you think that if I got a separate 3 gun shotgun cabinet I'd be able to get 3 rifles with scopes on into a 5 gun shotgun cabinet?

Trying to go for the most cost effective solution here, I can get a 3 gun cabinet for 90 as opposed to getting a very large, extra deep cabinet for everything for 200...

Thanks in advance!
    T

p.s. as a side note, what do you think my chances are for getting all 3 rifles with moderators? I have permission over 1000 acres of arable/pasture and will hopefully have more in due course. Thames Valley area.

You'll probably struggle to get scoped rifles in the cabinet you have without having to lay them down and jiggle them about a bit (not ideal). I'm sure with a couple of weeks looking on eBay or Friday Ad you'll find a second hand deep rifle cabinet for a good price. I got a 5 gun deep cabinet with ammo safe for 95 collected so they are out there. Plus Sod's law says that the rifle you want is the one at the bottom so you have to carefully get out all the others first!

Hi There,

On the cabinet, I have a deep 5 shotgun cabinet, and a std 5 gun shotgun cabinet, the FEO was fine with these.

On the Mod's, I applied for 22, .223 and .308 Rifles and Mods, for my first and was granted them.

Good luck

Chris

I would be very surprised if you had any problems getting mods approved, looks like you have good reason for the .243 although in today's risk averse enviroment I wouldn't be surprised to see a mentoring requirement added. Grants etc are very slow under tvp at the moment so get your paperwork in order and consider what you need now and will need in the next year or so and add them all to your application. As to cabinets GDK are sometimes listed on the bay as factory seconds although I used the buy it now option rather than the auction as I watched several go over the new price! No point trying to squeeze rifles into a tight space that's when damage occurs.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

.22LR Vermin
    .17HMR Fox
    .243" Deer
    Moderator 1 each cal they pretty much can't refuse any shooter a moderator any more even target shooters since HSE got involved

Should be fine They should not put mentor condition on you (as per NPCC Directives/HO guidance etc ) and you should get AOLQ on all Rifles so can shoot anything legal with any as Per HO Guidance .

on cabinet size I would get the biggest you can afford/fit for the long run its easier you can cram in Shotguns.
    But scoped rifles need a bit of room, certainly couldn't fit my 3 (.22LR,17HMR,6.5x47mm) in a 3 gun box with the scopes on etc or if they did it would be easy to bash one in and out dotn want to Dink a Grands worth of scope

When I first applied I got a .243 for just fox in Sussx but now things have changed and they won't grant a .243 on an initial certificate any more without proof of suitable experience! By the sounds of it you have quite some time while waiting for TVP to process your application and then grant it so I'd spend the time shopping around for a bigger cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    When I first applied I got a .243 for just fox in Sussx but now things have changed and they won't grant a .243 on an initial certificate any more without proof of suitable experience! By the sounds of it you have quite some time while waiting for TVP to process your application and then grant it so I'd spend the time shopping around for a bigger cabinet.

Technically they can't Not grant him a Deer calibre rifle if he has a Deer permission as it would be illegal to use anything else Due to eh Deer act.
    .243"/6mm is the smallest cal avalible (bar the CWD Munties) Experience is only a desirable Requirement from HO guidelines

If he has a good reason ie a Deer permission and as its Already cleared for .243" they cant refute that
    and not be a criminal ( ie show up on any of the Searches) or mentally/Medically unsuitable
    then they have to issue a FAC

However booking a few Stalking days Whie you wait the Application out with a paid Guide and estate rifle would be good /worthwhile and a letter from the guide for a number of Stalks will add to the case

I recently got a resonably deep 6 gun cabinet with amo safe from flea bay for 130 posted and new. Would be worth having a look on there.

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    Technically they can't Not grant him a Deer calibre rifle if he has a Deer permission as it would be illegal to use anything else Due to eh Deer act.
    .243"/6mm is the smallest cal avalible (bar the CWD Munties) Experience is only a desirable Requirement from HO guidelines

If he has a good reason ie a Deer permission and as its Already cleared for .243" they cant refute that
    and not be a criminal ( ie show up on any of the Searches) or mentally/Medically unsuitable
    then they have to issue a FAC

However booking a few Stalking days Whie you wait the Application out with a paid Guide and estate rifle would be good /worthwhile and a letter from the guide for a number of Stalks will add to the case
    technically they can and will do what they want! it is up to the applicant to convince the FLD that he is a safe and proper person to hold a firearm, how they do that is very much up to them, this is at the heart of many of the inconsistencies in firearms licensing in this country, and on a personal note, why I have to wait 4-6 months for a variation whilst my friend managed to sort his out in Wiltshire in less than a working day every Dept is different.The advice about booking stalking is good and I strongly believe most people starting would benefit greatly from the experience.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."