Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weatherproofing for boots ?

Weatherproofing for boots ?

Hope Iv posted this in the correct place sorry if not
    got a pair of harkila gtx boots and want to look after them more than I normally do with boots ie not at all Have had them a few years and so far no problems and where them a lot so can anyone please recommended me a good waterproof / cleaner polish for my boots to help keep them good and waterproof have always just given them a good clean and general boot polish but didn't know what was best so any help much appreciated thanks

Dubbin.

Goose fat is good, too.

(Presuming that they are leather boots, of course).

STEP AWAY FROM THE DUBBIN......AND GOOSE FAT!!! UNLESS YOU WANT TO WRECK YOUR BOOTS!!

Harkila Gtx boots are waterproof because they have a goretex lining. That keeps the water out, and allows the boot to breathe. It cannot breathe if you clog it up with grease.

All you need to do is keep the leather in good nick by using a proper conditioner such as

Nikwax | Conditioner For Leather - Sponge-on waterproofing conditioner for leather.

Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    STEP AWAY FROM THE DUBBIN......AND GOOSE FAT!!! UNLESS YOU WANT TO WRECK YOUR BOOTS!!

Harkila Gtx boots are waterproof because they have a goretex lining. That keeps the water out, and allows the boot to breathe. It cannot breathe if you clog it up with grease.

All you need to do is keep the leather in good nick by using a proper conditioner such as

Nikwax | Conditioner For Leather - Sponge-on waterproofing conditioner for leather.

I don't know what dubbin is made from (or Nikwax, come to that), so maybe it doesn't agree with modern boots?
    But with goose grease on leather you really can't go wrong - animal fat applied to animal skin. It all soaks in. You just need to find a fat goose. Shouldn't be too difficult with Christmas just around the corner...

Gore tex rubs out eventually then what ? Tried loads of proofers with no success. Sealskinz socks maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Hall View Post
    Hope Iv posted this in the correct place sorry if not
    got a pair of harkila gtx boots and want to look after them more than I normally do with boots ie not at all Have had them a few years and so far no problems and where them a lot so can anyone please recommended me a good waterproof / cleaner polish for my boots to help keep them good and waterproof have always just given them a good clean and general boot polish but didn't know what was best so any help much appreciated thanks
    Well first off have a look at the care label that came with them. If you have thrown it out, have a look on the Harkila web site or send them an email and ask what they recommend. They have the inside knowledge of their own boot materials and what is best.

For my Meindl which are Goretex I use the recommended Meindl sport wax and their spray on waterproofer. Both products are made by Graingers, so maybe some of the standard Grainger products would be okay. For my Le Chameau boots which were also Goretex I kept them going for 6 1/2 years with Nikwax aqueous wax. Great thing about the Aqueous wax is you put it on wet boots so you can use them again the next day.

Alan

I don't like the Nike wax dubbing as I find it doesn't soak in and seems to dry the material up. For the last 12 months I've been using harkila mink oil. Soaks into the material and the material doesn't appear as tight.

Someone once told me they were satisfied using Thompson Weathershield on their boots.

Neatsfoot oil.