Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: custom knives worth it or not?

custom knives worth it or not?

sadly a few weeks back my last remaining nan passed away and she has left me with a small sum of money which understandably i dont want to be just spent on anything and ive been thinking of a few ideas new .22lr, decent scope for the hornet and also a custom knife. A custom knife is somthing ive never owned or really have any knowledge in at all and when you start to look into it its a minefeild of options around what steel to use so my question would be is a custom knife worth the effort and money i know it will look nice as it will be what i choose but will it be a better knife than the mora i currently have will it be sharper will it keep a edge for longer as you can imagine i dont want to waste the money i have and i want somthing i can remeber my nan by so i welcome your points and views also who you might recomend to build a knife if i go down this route

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    sadly a few weeks back my last remaining nan passed away and she has left me with a small sum of money which understandably i dont want to be just spent on anything and ive been thinking of a few ideas new .22lr, decent scope for the hornet and also a custom knife. A custom knife is somthing ive never owned or really have any knowledge in at all and when you start to look into it its a minefeild of options around what steel to use so my question would be is a custom knife worth the effort and money i know it will look nice as it will be what i choose but will it be a better knife than the mora i currently have will it be sharper will it keep a edge for longer as you can imagine i dont want to waste the money i have and i want somthing i can remeber my nan by so i welcome your points and views also who you might recomend to build a knife if i go down this route

Stick with the Mora, Too easy to become a lost memory,I would choose something more long lasting & easy to keep tabs on.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

The custom knife thing will not really get you a tool that cuts any better than something off the shelf, but clearly you can get something very pleasing in many other ways. However for me a knife is something that is very easy to lose so if it were to have a lot of sentimental value then it would be best kept at home. There isn't much point in a knife you are afraid to take out and so my position is that it might be better to spend the cash on something else. Maybe you could buy something nice to keep and treasure and also buy a good but reasonably priced "workhorse" off the shelf knife with the money? That way you get a lot of use out of it but it isn't the end of the world if you do use it as you have spent the bulk of the money on something else to keep.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

U won't beat a mora as a stalking knife

if u had a custom made and you lost it you'd be really gutted

I'd buy something more homeley that you know will be safe won't get lost

SD Regular
    Buy a decent clock for the mantlepiece. Never put money that you can't be willing to write off as a loss into any sort of weapon or firearm that may, at some future time, be banned. My late mother bought me a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum for my twenty-first birthday. Don't have THAT, now, do i...
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 29-11-2015 at 11:16.

thanks for your replys chaps and you all make a very valid point, ive never lost a stalking knife but you just know it would happen and enfeildspares i feel for you having to give up on a gift from your mum

A good watch might be a memory that you could keep with you.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    A good watch might be a memory that you could keep with you.

David.

+1 for a good watch.
    Pete

I wouldn't be put off. Mora knives are OK but not the best at keeping an edge. Like you in 25 or so years of stalking I have never lost a knife. Still have the first stalking knife I ever bought and a Swiss Army knife that lives in my pocket and given to me by my parents for my 18th birthday thats traveled the world with me.
    Custom knives are far more than a tool but something you should be proud to own for the craftsmanship and memory as to how you came to own it. Sure if you are worried about loosing it then use a Mora for most things and the custom on those special days and take care of it. Can't understand people that are careless with there kit.

I agree - a custom knife is not necessarily a better tool. It's something you should be proud to own, so that every time you take it out to gralloch a beast, it brings back a memory or just looks and feels so damn great that it puts a smile on your face.

If you are just getting a knife for stalking & gralloching, steel quality does not really matter. You're only supposed to use one knife per beast, and even the cheapest knives you can buy from a souvenir shop will hold the edge long enough to perform one gralloch. When you're back home after a stalk, make sure you strop the knife so it's sharp enough to shave with again.

Better steel will hold an edge better, but it will also be harder to strop. Cheaper steel will lose the edge faster, but it will also take less time to strop it back to the right sharpness. For the purpose of one gralloch, you're not going to gain anything by buying more expensive steel.