Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal once fired.

Federal once fired.

Although ive given up reloading i am curious to know why very few reloaders are interested in using Federal once fired.
    Most makes offered for sale sell fairly quickly but not Federals.
    Why.
    Ive used them exclusively for six yrs and had no problems.
    Gone down the PPU route.

I use them in .308 and 25-06

Yes I use the cases from factory Fed that I have shot for reloading my .25-06. I have no complaints whatsoever. I have used 2 different types of Remington case too with equally good results. I have stacks of PPU cases - at 14 for 20 100gr they are a reasonable emergency backup.

I get one of the lowest extreme spreads from reloaded Federal cases compared to Lap, Norma, Sako in my .243 and provided they are not ramped up too hot, they are annealed every few firings and checked for case head separation (hasn't occurred yet!) they seem last very well.

Used to use them in .30-06 but had a few necks give up on me....probably as I was over working them and not annealing back in the day!

i use them they are fine. never had a problem from several times reloaded

Blog Entries
    No problems here either. Have used federal in my 25-06 for years, .308 must be on 4th firing and recently did a load of .44 magnum Federal American Eagle that were left over from using a .44 desert eagle.

It's in the upper quartile in my estimation. Good quality brass.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by tignme View Post
    Although ive given up reloading i am curious to know why very few reloaders are interested in using Federal once fired.
    Most makes offered for sale sell fairly quickly but not Federals.
    Why.
    Ive used them exclusively for six yrs and had no problems.
    Gone down the PPU route.
    Apart from the FC 223 head stamped cases, I think Federal cases are popular and rightly so. They’re not sold as components, so are much better than Winchester or Remington particularly the RelCom stuff. I think that’s because they are part of FCC’s ammunition production line so the quality assurance is there.

For the price PPU ammunition and cases seem to be as good as any of the standard lines in other U.S. brands.
    All the same, no matter how cheap PPU ammunition was I couldn’t ever give up reloading…. it’s in the blood.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Federal brass has a reputation for having weak primer pockets. One of my first forays into reloading was a 270 Win and I used the Federal brass as it was what I was left with after shooting the factory loads. In many cases the primer pockets were oversized. I put this down to a dodgy batch but then found the same issue in 223 and 22-250. So much so that even at a range day I would bin all of the Federal brass. When I looked into this on the internet, it seemed that I was not alone in my findings.

Interesting point - personally though all my Fed cases have taken a primer pocket reaming/sizing to some degree or other.

If anyone wants some I have some in .243 already primed and ready to go. Pick up Bisley