7mm X 64mm loads using Hodgdon H4350

Budgie Smuggler

I was wondering if any body has any links or own data on loading a 174gr bullet using Hodgdon H4350 powder in 7mm X 64 mm.
No data on Hodgdon's website for this calibre,or in the new Lee reloading book.
Dies just arrived from the Czech Republic and I'm itching to try some loads.
Im using CCI 200 large rifle primers and RWS brass.
The gun is a 1967 Mauser model 66.
Thanks for looking.

I shoot the 7x64 but use the .280 Remington data, as always start low and work your way up as per the powder manufacturers guidance.

I am no expert but maybe have a look at the data for the 280 remington. Both calibres are not the same but very,very close. This might give you an idea where to start. Minimum loads of the 280 probably will not be unsafe in the 7x64, and maybe work up from there . There are a few experts on here wich might tell you if my idea is safe.

Which 174 grain bullet (make & type/number) do you want info for? Also what cartridge overall length will you load them to? - With that info I can suggest some starting loads (QuickLoad)

Ian

Thanks for the replies,I've had a look at the 280 Remington loads and thought about starting there but as not sure,thought I'd ask.
Thanks Yorric the bullets are FMJ boat tails PPU 174gr.
I will be loading them to 84mm overall cartridge length.
Thanks for the help.

Have you tried some 175-gr ammunition in your 7x64, such as the Remington Core Lokt?
I am at work, so don't and without my personal computer and loads, working from memory.

Look at the Norma powder loads for the 7x64mm and use 203B as a guide for H-4350, but start at the beginning loads and work up.
You can go online and download the entire manual as a PDF.
www.norma.cc/us/Ammunition-Academy/Loading-Data/7x64

The older Hornady .280 Rem data of mine says 54.0 grains max of H-4350 giving 2,700 fps, but the newer manuals reduce that to 49.0 grains for 2,600 fps.
The older Hornady .280 Rem data said 52.0 grains max of IMR-4350, now reduced to 50.0 grains and 2,600 fps.

The new Nosler manual says 49.0 gr max for 2,650 fps.
A lot of the manuals are like that for the .280 Rem, because of so many autoloaders and pump rifles - wide range of loads - so start low and work up. Use a chronograph and let velocity be your guide, as well as other signs. Load for accuracy.

Slower powders, like 4831, 7828, RL-19, RL-22, Norma 204 and MRP, and N-160 and N-165, are going to be good powders for 175-gr bullets (and 160-gr).

Nosler gives a lot of loads, some at higher pressures, for bolt action rifles only, but starting loads are plenty safe.
www.nosler.com/280-remington
http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/280-remington/

Last edited:
Chuck hawks in an article on th 7x64 and 7x65r says the following - but notes it is for IMR 4350, not H4350 - they are similar, but not quite the same.

The Hornady manual seems to be the one to go for.

The reloader with a 7x64 rifle can approximate all of these factory loads, andhas access to a wider range of bullet weights than is offered in the factoryloads. Of particular interest are the 139-145 grain bullets, which are anexcellent choice in any 7mm rifle for long range shooting. Hornady reloadingdata suggests that 49.3 grains of IMR 4350 powder will drive a 139 grainbullet to a MV of 2600 fps, and 54.7 grains of IMR 4350 will give a MV of 3000 fps.

Take as an example the 139 Spire Point bullet at a MV of 2900 fps. Hornadyballistic tables for this bullet show a ME of 2595 ft. lbs. The trajectory would beas follows: +1.7" at 100 yards, +3" at 150 yards, +/- 0" at 200 yards, and -7.6"at 300 yards. This would seem to be an excellent choice for hunting CXP2game with a 7x64 rifle.
Also according to Hornady reloading data, their 154 grain bullet can be drivento a MV of 2500 fps by 46.9 grains of IMR 4350 powder, and 2900 fps by 52.9grains of IMR 4350. A Hornady Spire Point Interlock bullet at 2800 fps wouldhave the following trajectory (Hornady figures): +1.9" at 100 yards, 0 at 200yards, and -8.3" at 300 yards. This should be a potent all-around load for a7x64 rifle.

Thanks Southern,
Not tried the Remington Core Lokt,just shot the RWS 162g Classic Id.
Some good reading for me,thank you.

Thanks Heym SR20.... again,
your help is invaluable,
pm sent
cheers.

How did the RWS 162-gr shoot for your rifle?
What kind of rifle, barrel length?
Do you already have the 174-gr bullets and the H-4350 powder?

I have found that I can safely interchange 7x64 and .280 Remington load data, because you have to start a bit low until you know your components, as there is as much variation in brass capacity to make the 7x64 and .280 overlap there, plus some of the ball powders like W-760 might prefer a hotter primer, like a Federal 215.

FWIW

To my mind, the 154-gr Hornadys and 160-gr Sierra and Speer are ideal to just pick one weight and load a few different bullets, mild and hot, for everything the 7x64mm is designed to hunt. The BCs on all these bullets are high. The 162-gr SST is very sleek. The 160-gr Sierra BTSP Gameking is sleek and the BTHP Gameking shoots the to the same spots for me with the same loadings, but is a tougher bullet. The Speer is more of a semi-spritzer, and tougher yet. These bullets will shoot as flat as most 140-gr bullets at higher MV, and will deliver the energy of a slower 175-gr, and some of them are plenty tough for deep penetration - just look at the African forums and what they use on various plains game.

I friend of mine, a very good shot, hunting out West while visiting family for Thanksgiving last year, took a large mule deer with one shot from his .280 Remington with the 154-gr SST, complete pass through the heart and lungs, at 410 yards. But he uses the 140-gr SST, too.

Hi Southern,
My rifle is a 1967 Mauser Model 66 with a 24inch barrel.
The RWS ammo shot well in the rifle better than the S&B I tried.
I already have the bullets and powder but I am not restricted to using these soley,although there seems to be a powder shortage,this was my fourth choice.
This is my first rifle and I have not had it long and don't know it's history or shot count so at first I've decided to load heavier bullets and keep the velocity down ,dont want to punish the old girl.
Also I have never shot a deer, so for my first one I want it to be 100 yards or less so at this moment the trajectory beyond this doesn't concern me.
This load will be to get me to the range and fire 100 rounds to get used to the gun and also to understand the load for this bullet weight as I have found a supplier in France who has the RWS Classic Id bullets in 162gr and 177gr for reloading.
They are very nice rounds but a little bit pricey so reloading these is the way for me.
I have heard that in the 140gr-160gr this calibre is punching well above it's size in stopping power and this I will look into when I gain confidence in the rifle.
I will look at 280 Remington load data.

Thank you for your time Southern in assisting me.

Budgie
Quickload (pure computer based theory) says:- Using H4350 powder:-
For the Bullet 0.284 diameter , 174 grain , PrviPartizan FMJ BT B-127. COAL set at 84mm.
7x64 Brenneke chambering.
Max allowable pressure = 60191 psi. Approach with extreme caution.(NOT FOR BEGINNERS!!) 53.3 grains (96.1% case fill) should give just under the 60K psi & 2606 ft/second. 99.2% powder burn.
For a pressure of 50940 psi, 50.3 grains (90.6% case fill) indicates velocity of 2468 ft/sec & a powder burn of 97.89%
For a pressure of 42867 psi, 47.16 grains (85% case fill) indicates velocity of 2323 ft/sec & a powder burn of 95.88%. (Looks like a good place to start -- Your choice!)

Please use this data alongside & cross refering to other sources loads to make your own mind up where to start. It should be cross referenced for safety - not believed on its own merit. --- As always there is the possibility of operator error - Even I have been known to cock it up on rare occasions. Hence the mantra "Cross check, Cross check the cross check & then check it all again"

Saying that I have found QuickLoad predictions to be at least as accurate as other published sources when used in comparative situations. Its predictions seem reliable in my experience.

LOAD SAFE! -- Enjoy the trip.

Ian

p.s. Don't use the FMJ bullet for deer.

Last edited:
Hold that.
According to Donnelly's "Manual of Cartridge Conversion" spec sheets, the 280 has 2.3CC greater case capacity than the 7x64 Brenneke. Hodgdon's max load for the 280 Remington with a 175 grain bullet is 46.5 grains of H-4350. Starting load is 44.0 grains. Were I loading that round I would start at 5% under that and work up.

Remember: Maximum loads are not set by whatever the "maximum allowable" pressure is. They are dictated by the charge weight of a given powder that consistently stays at, or under, that level with no excursions above it.~Muir

Back to my PC tonight, a quick look at some loading notes for my 7x64 Steyr, a strong action with a 23.6 inch barrel:
7x64mm
Remington Brass, once-fired ( 175-gr factory Core Lokt at 2,650 fps, just under 1-inch groups )
Rem 9.5 primers
Hornady 175-gr BTSP
COAL = 3.30 inch with Lee Factory Crimp
H-4350 50.8 grains
2,670 FPS
0.55 inch group of 5 shots at 100 yards.
Started at 49.0 gr.
Stopped working up here. No pressure signs, but hot enough, matches Remington factory.

( Note: some other brass with more capacity may take up to 52.0 grains H-4350 for same MV ).

Same bullet, brass, primers, but 52.0 gr H-4831. 2,730 FPS groups of 0.5 to 0.675 inch.
-------------
RWS 177 grain factory loads- 177 grains at 2700 fps from the Steyr.

Load data from Brenneke: ( I have not tried it, yet. Happy with 4350 and 4831)
177-gr RWS TIG bullet
56.6-gr Norma MRP ( note: same as RL-22 )
Norma brass
RWS 5333 primer

Speer says 58.3 gr MRP-2 for their 175-gr at COAL of 3.245" for 2,550 fps from 22-inch barrel.

Hold that.
According to Donnelly's "Manual of Cartridge Conversion" spec sheets, the 280 has 2.3CC greater case capacity than the 7x64 Brenneke. Hodgdon's max load for the 280 Remington with a 175 grain bullet is 46.5 grains of H-4350. Starting load is 44.0 grains. Were I loading that round I would start at 5% under that and work up.

Remember: Maximum loads are not set by whatever the "maximum allowable" pressure is. They are dictated by the charge weight of a given powder that consistently stays at, or under, that level with no excursions above it.~Muir

I second that. Although I have friends who safely load their .280 Remingtons and 7x64s with more powder than I do, and some to higher pressures, there is too much variation in brass, primers and powders, much less rifles - some have long throats and will take more powder without pressure spikes. Some have tighter bores. For example, the 4831 powders of today are hotter than the the old surplus powders of yesteryear.

After you have shot some factory ammunition through your rifle, and checked its MV, then build some starting loads with brass of the same capacity as in the NEW manuals. Try to find moderate loads for the same make and model rifle as your 7x64.

A quick look at Lee's "Modern Reloading, Second Edition" lists their 7x64 data as "reduced .280 Remington data" and the reduction being 5% for any given load. I seem to recall an article in Handloader magazine making the same statement. (Though I can't locate that issue at the moment.)

Thank you for all the replies,
great information there,
Going to start at 42g and work up to 44.2g.
Then assess the results,can't wait to see what the MV is across these loads.
That is the maximum I am going for now as stated by Muir and what I have read that is the maximum load on Hodgdon's website.
Nothing is being ruled out just starting cautious for now,
Once again thanks for everybodies help,I really appreciate it.

As with any new rifle, before hand loading, shoot some less expensive, commonly obtainable ammunition through it to get a baseline of performance, to see what it seems to like. Run that across a chronograph, too. In your 7x64, try the PPU, S&B 139-gr and 173-gr, the Remington 175-gr and 150-gr, and the Hornady 139-gr and 175-gr ammunition if you can get some of it.

Quick update.
The 177gr bullets just didn't go well in my rifle so loaded some Sierra Matchkings at 150gr and are proving very accurate using 51gr of H4350.
Haven't chrono them yet though.
Have ordered some Reload Swiss RS62 powder to try,any body used it?

51.0 gr H-4350 should have a 150-gr bullet moving about 2,800 FPS.
Remington factory ammo, 150-gr 7x64 is 2,890 fps.

Quick update.
The 177gr bullets just didn't go well in my rifle so loaded some Sierra Matchkings at 150gr and are proving very accurate using 51gr of H4350.
Haven't chrono them yet though.
Have ordered some Reload Swiss RS62 powder to try,any body used it?

Well it works so go hunting, but are Match king a hunting bullet?

Back