Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt for roads & dogs

Salt for roads & dogs

Wee bit dog related so if in wrong place sorry ,

Ok cul de sac is like an ice rink , so is my drive .... I was going to get some grit from grit box beside my fathers house , (council owned ) but I'm being told that lot of councils treat grit with anti freeze .
    I'm bit sceptical but still to be sure don't want mutleys feet in it then licking clean & possibility of getting ill
    Any truth in it ?
    Thinking I'll just buy salt from somewhere ....

Forgive my ignorance

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post

Ok cul de sac is like an ice rink , so is my drive .... I was going to get some grit from grit box beside my fathers house , (council owned ) but I'm being told that lot of councils treat grit with anti freeze .
    I'm bit sceptical but still to be sure don't want mutleys feet in it then licking clean & possibility of getting ill
    Any truth in it ?

Forgive my ignorance

Paul
    Paul

It's not ignorance - I've heard a similar story.
    We've had a grit bin beside us longer than we've had dogs.
    The dogs have sniffed it, peed against it and walked away.
    None have actually eaten any of the grit.

The issue I heard was with the chemical hurting the pads on their paws.
    I'm happy to be corrected on this and learn another fact of life.

Ed

Mrs D used to work in a vets and heard the same thing, not sure if the salt is treated or not, but anti freeze in any genre is harmful to dogs as is salt in certain amounts. However, I don't know how true this is, but, i also heard that to counter act the anti freeze one member of the veterinary fraternity used to use Vodka in small doses if the poisoning was caught early enough via IV drip.
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

I'm not sure whether it was just the salt stinging or a chemical irritation but when I have walked the dog on gritted roads before he showed obvious signs of discomfort on his paws so much so that we gave him a good wash which seemed to help.

Road salt is treated with antifreeze to stop the thawed water re-freezing. Salt alone will irritate paws causing dogs to lick them causing high blood pressure the same as it does to us if we eat too much, the antifreeze can damage the kidneys and liver beyond repair and cause death. Yes, vodka is an antidote, but brings with it problems of its own.

Always wash off your dogs paws after they have been on treated roads and pavements to reduce the possibility of losing your fur babies
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Road salt is NOT treated with antifreeze. You can however use a liquid spray on the road which is anti freeze based.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

The stuff i used to haul is. We had all the coshh sheets on it. Doesn't do much good to the tipper body either...
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Must admit i've never heard off that before, and i do a bit of work with gritting.

Nowadays most Mways/trunk road gritters will also spray brine alongside the rock salt, salt only works down to about -7 whereas brine works a lot colder, something like -30ish depending on concentration.
    At 1 point our council experiment with mollasses, mixing it with the salt to make it stick to roads but just attracted a lot of stock/wildlife onto the roads. That was years ago as in those days used to grit all the unfenced hill roads

sheep eat the grit with no ill affects.

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post

Any truth in it ?

Forgive my ignorance

Paul
    Paul,

And the Council's Duty Officer said what when you called about a matter of animal safety? At this time of year there is a Duty Officer for highways issues. They will know what they are putting down.

Stan