Thread: Retriever Dummy Training

Retriever Dummy Training

I have started doing a bit or retrieving work with my BMH/Lab. She is nine months old, and generally is coming along nicely. She is finding the dummy well. Is sitting nice and steadily (although doesn't like sitting on cold wet frosty icy grass). But is developing the annoying habit of picking the dummy up well, bringing it to within ten yards of me and then playing the game of trotting of with it and you can't catch me as well as shaking it like a terrier with a rat. On her walks I am doing a few minutes of dummy training each time. A mix of both easy visual retrieves. Sitting and waiting and let me pick it up, as well as retrieves into water or with hidden in a bit of cover. Trying to keep it nice and varied so she doesn't get bored.

We were doing some work on the beach this morning and she retrieved the dummy out of the water and then ran off up the beach and started burying it.

I think what is happening is that she is getting head strong and worked out that its more fun to keep the dummy and bury it (like a wolf would do) than bring it to me, get some praise and a treat.

Thought process is to go back to square one and do a lot more retrieving in a confined garden and to have lottos patience.

She is a very intelligent and strong willed dog. Something that actually will be a real delight as she gets older as she is will primarily used both for deer and wild fowling / rough shooting.

Any thoughts please gents.

Firstly, don't train on the beach where burying is easy. Secondly, as she comes back start walking/running away. Once she gets along side you allow her to carry the dummy for a bit before taking it from her. Don't allow it to become a game of chase and DON'T snatch it off her when you're angry. You can make her sit and stroke her telling her how well she's done before taking the dummy calmly. I Think that you're trying to take her prize too soon. One retrieve a day is plently until the delivery is perfected.
    Hope that helps?
    baguio

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Firstly, don't train on the beach where burying is easy. Secondly, as she comes back start walking/running away. Once she gets along side you allow her to carry the dummy for a bit before taking it from her. Don't allow it to become a game of chase and DON'T snatch it off her when you're angry. You can make her sit and stroke her telling her how well she's done before taking the dummy calmly. I Think that you're trying to take her prize too soon. One retrieve a day is plently until the delivery is perfected.
    Hope that helps?
    baguio
    +1, exactly what I would have said. The only other thing I would have said is no more than ten minutes training a day.
    Last edited by Munty1; 01-12-2015 at 13:11.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Hope that helps?
    baguio
    +1, and squatting/kneeling and clapping your hands will encourage her to come in to you

Something else that you could try is to sit her down, put the dummy in her mouth, command her to hold, praise her, walk 2 or 3 steps back from her, call her to you (squat/kneel if necessary), and loads of praise as she comes in and gives you the dummy. Vary this by not calling her to you but instead walk back to her, praise her and take the dummy

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nicowilson View Post
    +1, and squatting/kneeling and clapping your hands will encourage her to come in to you

Something else that you could try is to sit her down, put the dummy in her mouth, command her to hold, praise her, walk 2 or 3 steps back from her, call her to you (squat/kneel if necessary), and loads of praise as she comes in and gives you the dummy. Vary this by not calling her to you but instead walk back to her, praise her and take the dummy

Good luck!
    Got to be careful with this "forced hold", it is very easy to put the dog off picking up all together. Not saying don#'t do it, just use with caution.
    I use the walk/run in opposite direction as the dog comes near and has fixed the problem for me.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by MrMickeyD View Post
    Got to be careful with this "forced hold", it is very easy to put the dog off picking up all together. Not saying don#'t do it, just use with caution.
    I use the walk/run in opposite direction as the dog comes near and has fixed the problem for me.
    Mick
    Agreed. Should have been clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by nicowilson View Post

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMickeyD View Post
    Mick
    Thats not really a 'forced fetch' traditional forced fetch is a negative based training technique and not really that many folk use it in this country outside hpr circles, common on continent, USA. Not a very nice technique but can work but u have to know wot ur doing. I would not reccommend it to anyone, a lot to go wrong with it and ma things a lot worse.

Plenty of praise and stroking under chin, behind ears, verbal praise. as has been said walking away. Possibly even let it carry the dummy on the lead while at heel as long as it doesnae drop it.
    A trainer near us always says u should only clap praise a dog while the dunmmy is actually in the dogs mouth and not after u have took the dummy, which is wot most people do.
    Rewarding it while still in its mouth encourages it to hold, just take ur time with it