Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Advice needed

  1. #1

    Advice needed

    Ok.. Just to give some background. I stalk a neighbouring farm and have done for 15 years. I pay rent in the form to the elderly lady who owns it in the form of doing her farm hedge cutting, set aside mowing and the odd venison cuts as she needs. It has been an amicable relationship for the last 15 years.

    This year she has now rented her land out to another farmer to grow biogas maize on the whole thing. The new people have asked to stalk the ground themselves to protect their maize or at least 'help' me with the stalking in their words. Now I have been consulted by the landowner as to my thoughts. I've said I wouldn't be happy sharing the stalking and would agree to increase my efforts if the deer damage was an issue. I don't know if the new farmers are genuinely concerned for the crop, or whether they've just seen a nice deer opportunity to move in on?! I think damage is inevitable the way the fallow operate. I'm just half expecting the blame to be pointed at me if the new farmers don't get their own way?

  2. #2
    Seen a nice opportunity, I reckon...
    Why else would they want the "hassle" of protecting their crop when they know someone else is already protecting it for them at no cost to themselves?

  3. #3
    That's a tricky one mate with maize and Fallow! Most of the damage will be done as the crop grows BEFORE the fallow are in season so there is nothing you can do about it other than receive the blame later! Just as the fallow come into season, the maize is so tall that you can't see them in it and they continue to do damage and will even live in it as it is the best cover around! Fencing is the only real way to prevent damage. Once the crop is gone, so are the fallow as there is no longer any food or cover. There is no respite from this either as they do not need to rotate this crop and can grow it every year in the same place. Sounds like your ground might not be worth too much anymore anyway? Best offer to share and just do the best you can? At least you can't be entirely to blame then. You should be able to pick some off around the edges or maybe even suggest they leave some lanes within?
    Very awkward situation there I'm afraid.
    Good luck.
    MS

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    That's a tricky one mate with maize and Fallow! Most of the damage will be done as the crop grows BEFORE the fallow are in season so there is nothing you can do about it other than receive the blame later! Just as the fallow come into season, the maize is so tall that you can't see them in it and they continue to do damage and will even live in it as it is the best cover around! Fencing is the only real way to prevent damage. Once the crop is gone, so are the fallow as there is no longer any food or cover. There is no respite from this either as they do not need to rotate this crop and can grow it every year in the same place. Sounds like your ground might not be worth too much anymore anyway? Best offer to share and just do the best you can? At least you can't be entirely to blame then. You should be able to pick some off around the edges or maybe even suggest they leave some lanes within?
    Very awkward situation there I'm afraid.
    Good luck.
    MS
    Thanks. Having stalked it for so long I know the ground and the way the fallow operate. You can see a group of 20 plus one minute, then nothing for weeks. I've planted strips of game cover maize up there before that's been fine all season then suddenly trashed in one night. Been on several outings and seen nothing. Then you see a big group, shoot one and the rest straight back into the forest. I know for sure if someone else stalks it it would be the same for them. Driving past you'll see big groups and it might seem attractive but its not that easy in reality.!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Thanks. Having stalked it for so long I know the ground and the way the fallow operate. You can see a group of 20 plus one minute, then nothing for weeks. I've planted strips of game cover maize up there before that's been fine all season then suddenly trashed in one night. Been on several outings and seen nothing. Then you see a big group, shoot one and the rest straight back into the forest. I know for sure if someone else stalks it it would be the same for them. Driving past you'll see big groups and it might seem attractive but its not that easy in reality.!
    That's Fallow for you though and hence my point that the only effective form of protection is a fence! Let them have a go so they can at least appreciate the problem. If it proves too difficult, they will be more than happy to let you do it for them!
    MS

  6. #6
    What financial outlay is covered by your activities re mowing hedge cutting etc?,Will the comer- inners do it?, could you afford to plant the ground yourself ?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  7. #7
    Had the same thing happen to me this year. im afraid you have 2 options. It's going to happen more and more as in my opinion the fallow numbers in our area are out of control due to anti landowners not doing their bit. My personal opinion is get some local stalker friends out to put bums in seats. Best way to reduce numbers quickly
    good luck !

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    That's a tricky one mate with maize and Fallow! Most of the damage will be done as the crop grows BEFORE the fallow are in season so there is nothing you can do about it other than receive the blame later! Just as the fallow come into season, the maize is so tall that you can't see them in it and they continue to do damage and will even live in it as it is the best cover around! Fencing is the only real way to prevent damage. Once the crop is gone, so are the fallow as there is no longer any food or cover. There is no respite from this either as they do not need to rotate this crop and can grow it every year in the same place. Sounds like your ground might not be worth too much anymore anyway? Best offer to share and just do the best you can? At least you can't be entirely to blame then. You should be able to pick some off around the edges or maybe even suggest they leave some lanes within?
    Very awkward situation there I'm afraid.
    Good luck.
    MS
    Very true that Monkey Spanker... What's the thoughts on the "The Deer Act 1991" section 7 (1) the taking of deer out of season for crop protection? In this case could this be utilised? Has anyone got experience of this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by White Hart; 01-12-2015 at 20:11. Reason: Added scan of deer act
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    Had the same thing happen to me this year. im afraid you have 2 options. It's going to happen more and more as in my opinion the fallow numbers in our area are out of control due to anti landowners not doing their bit. My personal opinion is get some local stalker friends out to put bums in seats. Best way to reduce numbers quickly
    good luck !
    thanks. I've said to the landowner lady that I have friends to help if its a case of seeing people out on the ground or in high seats regularly. At least people I know, and experienced. I've also thought of recording everything we shoot so we've got some sort of evidence that we've been out there trying.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    What financial outlay is covered by your activities re mowing hedge cutting etc?,Will the comer- inners do it?, could you afford to plant the ground yourself ?
    I value all my hedge cutting mowing etc at about £900. I mow and clear their parkland. I also sell any fallow I shoot, but butcher the roe for the landowners. I thinks it's fair and stops anyone else coming in. I wouldn't take on the ground myself I'm afraid. I think the comer inners just fancy some deer stalking if I'm honest. But as I said. They've probably seen good numbers of deer but I'd bet they'd have plenty of outings where they didn't see a thing. And how do you know they actually know what they're doing, or the next thing it turn into a free for all!

Similar Threads

  1. advice needed
    By white in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-12-2015, 21:49
  2. advice needed
    By swarovski in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 09:36
  3. Advice needed
    By joncarnage in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-02-2013, 20:13
  4. Advice Needed
    By 1995rs in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-03-2011, 22:18
  5. Advice needed
    By Sausage Maker in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 17:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •