Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I fancy a 6.5 JDJ bolt action

I fancy a 6.5 JDJ bolt action

Been thinking about a 6.5 JDJ bolt action for a long time as the accuracy from my Contender 14 incher is great.
    The bolt face appears to be the same as on the Argentine Mauser so having one of those rebarreled and headspaced seems the way to go.
    Anyone have an idea on the costs for that work?
    Martin

Surely the Argie mauser uses a standard Mauser cartridge case so the bolt face and any Rimless Mauser bar those for the Swedish cartridge are the same?

If I remember correctly South and Central American countries adopted the Mauser rifles almost exclusively 7mm along with 7.65 Mauser were just two. Am not sure if any adopted the 7.92 Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Surely the Argie mauser uses a standard Mauser cartridge case so the bolt face and any Rimless Mauser bar those for the Swedish cartridge are the same? If I remember correctly South and Central American countries adopted the Mauser rifles almost exclusively 7mm along with 7.65 Mauser were just two. Am not sure if any adopted the 7.92 Mauser.
    Yes ... it's the same standard Mauser rim size. Prior to the appearance of PPU ammo, the best way to make 7.65 x 53 cases was from 7.92/8 x 57 Mauser.

(Conure)

The 6.5 JDJ calibre needs a blown-out body on a .307 Win case (rimmed .308). This is't the same bolt-face so not an easy prospect.

I know very little about Thompson Contenders, but whatever the platform is fancy ammo will always be a problem.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Just get a 1903 Mannlicher carbine in 6.5x54mm and you will be so happy, for less fuss.
    There are actually a surprising number of small classic rifles built off the Mannlicher actions by Westley Richards, Holland & Holland, etc, still floating around for sale.

The "Swede" case is a different diameter to the standard Mauser 57mm case.

David.

What about using a donor rifle in 220 swift? Same rim diameter and both semi-rimmed cartridges so should be easier to do. The extractor would likely need some work as I believe the 225 Winchester has a smaller base than 220 Swift.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

maybe consider the 6.5 epps , parent brass should be easier to find ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    The "Swede" case is a different diameter to the standard Mauser 57mm case.

David.
    Not in the US as they do not reconise this fact and make the case the same as the rest of the rim less bunch. Have come across much discussion on this when reading through American forums.

Just had a though did not Mauser make some 98 Mausers fro rimmed cases. Years ago Fultons had a Mauser 98 in 303 for sale. Nice rifle but was too expensive for me to ever consider.
    Last edited by Conure; 03-12-2015 at 17:06.

The 6.5 JDJ is based on the obsolescent .224 Winchester rimmed round's case, not that of the .30-30 WCF. (30-30 brass can be reformed to 224 / 6.5 JDJ, but the rim has to be turned down from its original 0.502" to 0.473".)

As already said, this is the standard 'modern' rimless case-head diameter, although it goes back to the 1880s 7.9 Mauser originally. The aim of the JDJ in this respect was to get a rimmed round which is traditionally easier to handle (extract) and to headspace in a single shot action than rimless types but with a standard bolt-face diameter. The .224 was known as a very strong case too, Winchester having designed it for 65,000 psi pressures as a hot varmint number. That (rimmed for single-shot) convention has largely gone by the board, Sturm-Ruger killing it off many years ago with the Ruger No.1 being offered in several rimless chamberings.

There is no benefit at all in chambering a bolt-action rifle for a rimmed cartridge and some disbenefits, the main one being it takes a magazine designed specifically for the type to feed rimmed cases reliably. That's why precious few rimmed cartridges survived the start of the 20th century in military use, only the British and Russian (later Soviet) empires bucking the trend. In sporting rifle cartridges, the rimmed survivors are either levergun orientated such as the 30-30, 7-30 Waters, 307 winchester, or started out as originally designed for single-shot rifles, notably the .22 Hornet

From the gunsmith's view, he'll want to start with a donor action designed for a rimmed case and of similar case-head diameter if you want magazine operation. For single shot, maybe a standard rimless cartridge action would work with some redesign of the extractor - I wouldn't know - or a likely better bet start off with something single-shot designed for this case-head size, maybe a Ruger No.1 or classic European break-open type.

If you want a small, accurate 6.5mm cartridge in a bolt-action sporter, the 6.5X47mm Lapua is a better bet. Proven performance and accuracy, strong and widely available brass, good magazine feed, and a bit more performance as the 6.5 JDJ is a very low capacity case number at ~42gn water compared to 48gn for the Lapua (and 53-55gn for the Hornady Creedmoor and .260 Rem).

Thanks for the clarification, Laurie. The .307 Win conversion is the 6.5 JDJ No. 2.

I have .225 Win and .307 Win which are rare birds nowadays, but the fireforming involved to make either of the JDJ's would be a major headache.

Back in the pistol days the TC did use to be quite popular in .221 Fireball. It was no fun to watch one touched off on an indoor range, and caused much checking of the steel bullet trap.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.