Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta vs. Browning

Beretta vs. Browning

I own a Beretta 20b and 12b, a Brownng 12b and a Miroku 20b. Although all stocks having the same dimensions, I shoot much better with the Brownings compared to the Beretta's. Does anybody have the same problem or has an idea what could be the problem? Chokes also are very similar. All open choked game guns for rough shooting.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    I own a Beretta 20b and 12b, a Brownng 12b and a Miroku 20b. Although all stocks having the same dimensions, I shoot much better with the Brownings compared to the Beretta's. Does anybody have the same problem or has an idea what could be the problem? Chokes also are very similar. All open choked game guns for rough shooting.
    Is every dimension of the stocks - length, cast and drop - the same, or just length? A competent gunsmith should also be able to ensure that not just the stock dimensions are the same, but that any changes are made for differences in the action design, etc. The important thing is to have the gun fitted to you, not just the dimensions replicated.

Although I now have three Berettas the best shotgun I ever shot with was my first, a plain Browning 325. How I regret selling that gun
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi,
    I have heard other people say they have had difficulty changing from Browning to Berretta, and visa versa. I found I could not get on with Browning, but found Berretta and Perazzi easy to shoot. I had a long chat with Chris Craddock many years ago about this, and he produced a pencil and paper and proceeded to draw the sear engagement of the respective guns, to show that Brownings have a "slow" trigger, and Berretta and Perazzi have "quick" triggers. The timing of the gun's discharge in amongst the variations of your shooting style, can lead to variations in point of impact. I am told that the latest "7..." series Brownings have had their trigger design altered a bit, which may have changed this aspect. This may not be the cause of your problem, but is an interesting subject for discussion!

If all things are equal then it could just be confidence. We all have bad days and then blame the equipment when it's often the wiggley link on the end of the gun!

I am firmly a Beretta guy with a 686s and a DT10 - however the old man is a Browning/Mirouku fan. I almost certainly could not shoot his gun as I find it mounts too low on me. I need to make a conscious decision when mounting it to lift it up. I think if you put them side to size you will find the drop is different over the two guns.

Regular Poster
    Interesting. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference for me. I shoot a Silver Pigeon at the moment, but I used to shoot an old 425 with my school team and scores weren't too bad. I think it is more just getting used to the gun than anything else, assuming it fits of course, and both Brownings and Berettas come with fairly standard measurements out of the box.

Confidence is certainly a factor as well, but unless you are a top flight game or competition shot, then you are unlikely to notice a difference. I noticed that when I got the current Beretta, scores increased steadily during the first 6 months or so as I was shooting regularly and got used to it, but they have plummeted again now as I just don't do the same volume of shooting at Uni as I do at home. Also, as I am usually helping out beginners with the Uni squad, I shoot less challenging targets as well, which doesn't help.

As an aside, it is surprising how much difference even a small change can make. I moved back from my thin summer waistcoat thing to my Barbour about 2 months ago and had massive mount problems for the first 200-300 shots. Difference in LOP was probably 1/4-1/2 inch at most, but still enough to throw me off and scores dropped approx 30% the first outing!

I think some of it is face shape in relation to comb thickness and shape. I have a Browning face. Berettas just don't suit. Other people have the opposite. They are both very good guns, but it is fit.

David.

All the stocks have the same lenght, drop and cast. I like my Beretta 687 , 20b a lot. Nice light gun with double trigger. Bloody like the gun, but shoot better with the Miroku. The same with the 12 bores, both single trigger. The average with the old B25 is much better than the Beretta Ultra light. I'll probably have the Browning face.

100% with this. Stocks the same dimensions etc but Browning are chunkier and for me much much better. Beretta smack me about (Im a big lad) and I don't hit a lot. They are entirely different shooters and the difference for me is almost as much as between side by side and over and under. Give me browning thickness.

I wonder if with most of us, it's what you get used to. If your first gun is a Browning, for example, you become a Browning person and a Beretta or something else just isn't right for you. The same happens with many other things we like, be it cars, clothing, women (or men) and so on. We program ourselves that the Beretta make is the best and because of that we won't shoot as well with a Browning and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Both Beretta and Browning guns are in use in countless hands, being shot equally well (or badly) as the other. If there really was something that made one or the other inferior, I think someone might have sussed it by now, although there are of course those subtle differences.