Durban

Not from that part of SA but my sister lives there. Most of it is a shithole in my opinion and will be full of holiday makers from Transvaal or whatever it is called nowadays.

If you haven't get a Yellow Fever injection and, more importantly its Certificate. Elsewise you will get "aggro" on arrival at the airport from officials angling for "dash" (cash) if you haven't got one and threatening all sorts of nonsense. Have some Rand before you go, especially, small value notes for said "dash" and, again, try and sort out someone to meet there that is local.

Never been, but going to spend Xmas there with friends. How far away is it from any real wildlife, springbok etc?

Cheers

Will do thanks. Got a mate who I'll be staying with meeting me at the airport. It was the same when I went to Kenya by the sounds of it

Since when did you need yellow fever jabs to get into SA

I didn't say it was. It isn't. You are correct in that.

What I said was that if you did not you may well get "aggro" on arrival if you don't have a Yellow Fever Certificate.

However do be aware of this from South Africa Government this:

http://www.transport.gov.za/Portals/0/Aviation/YELLOW FEVER COUNTRIES.pdf

Which is what, in fact probably, will be used as an excuse to cause you "aggro" by officials seeking "dash".

Last edited:
I felt truly rotten after having a yellow fever vaccination. I'd suggest not getting one unless you really need it!

You are correct WG. I work for a travel company. It isn't needed if coming from UK.

But, unfortunately, there will be some officials who may "misunderstand" the law...or use the fact that you may not be truthful in where you've recently been to to cause "aggro".

So there it is.

You are correct WG. I work for a travel company. It isn't needed if coming from UK.

But, unfortunately, there will be some officials who may "misunderstand" the law...or use the fact that you may not be truthful in where you've recently been to to cause "aggro".

So there it is.

Yes, they are quite adept at finding all sorts of reasons - plausible and otherwise - to extract money!

If it's somewhere public like the airport I would ask for their supervisor to come over, as that normally results in a flash of common sense. Of course out and about in the middle of nowhere it may be easier to spend R150 and be on your way rather than get delayed for hours whilst they get you to unpack and re-pack everything.

Thanks WG. At least the OP of the thread will now understand that sometimes it is just better to get the thing done and so have the magic yellow book to wave rather than argue the toss.

Thanks WG. At least the OP of the thread will now understand that sometimes it is just better to get the thing done and so have the magic yellow book to wave rather than argue the toss.

Indeed.

I'm supposedly off to East Africa next year so it will be interesting to see how that compares.

Back