Hunting in extreme cold.

NorthDorset

Just paid for my flights today. I'm off to the Czech Republic in January for a bit of driven boar and some mountain stalking.

Been warned it will likely be -15 for the boar and colder in the mountains.

I have no experience of being active in that kind of temperature. Any recommendations apart from the obvious? What should I wear?

Lots of layers. Merino wool next to the skin is good. Outside of that fleece. Hat, gloves, balaclava can be handy. Depends on the type of hunting you will be doingand mobility. I sit out in a blind hunting fox over bait and temps can be down to -30c. I also use a winter sleeping bag and bivvie boots to sit in.....

It depends on how you are hunting, and how well your body generates heat and tolerates cold, especially at the extremities.

If you are not walking a lot, or sitting, and in snow, get a pair of pacs, like Sorel, from Canada.

I wear ski liner gloves, inside a pair of ski gloves, which I can pull off my right hand, or a pair of elk skin US Army sniper mittens, with the trigger finger slits.

Army surplus lambs wool or poly long underwear next to the ski, then a light wool shirt, zipper sweater, flannel lined pants. Or a pair of Carhartt, Walls, etc insulated coveralls or a full jump suit, like road construction workers wear. Maybe just wool pants with a pair of light fleece with cuffs underneath, to shut out the draft.

Protect your head, ears, nose and face with whatever you like: ski mask, Balaclava, scarf, etc.
I always take a wool scarf, even when just wearing a heavy hunting coat.

for driven you need to stay perfectly still so layering up is a definite, the best thing I used was one of those peacock style hand warmers on the inside chest to circulate the blood worked a treat, sat or stood for a few hours really takes its toll otherwise, atb wayne

My back and knee seize up in the cold so I cannot say I am a fan.

I own a fantastic garment called a TwoDogs bushshirt that comes to just above my knees and will layer beneath this for sure.

My only experience of hunting in the extreme cold was in Sweden, where it got down to a relatively balmy -10C

I would echo the points above:

> if you don't have a Peacock warmer then the chemical warmers are also very useful. 5 each day is a good idea - one per hand, one per foot and one in the hat :D
> if you're sitting down waiting then one of the self-inflating cushions can be a good idea. In Sweden they then cover them with fur, as you can lose a lot of heat otherwise
> layers is definitely the way to go. I like merino, then one or more fleece layers, then an outer shell.
> take a small rucksack with you where you can store a spare fleece or gilet and the other stuff below
> take one of the fleece neck warmers, which you can pull up over your ears if the wind really gets up
> for the same reasons take a coat with a hood
> thin gloves, thick gloves, then mittens will keep you warm
> don't forget to stick some spare socks in the rucksack in case your feet get wet during the day
> cut the legs off an old pair of wellies and then cut right up the back to give you a rubber sheet that you can stand on or rest your feet on to keep them insulated from the ground. You might be surprised how much difference it makes, and the rubber can be rolled up and stuck in the rucksack when not needed.
> buy some of the small Dairy Milk chocolate bars at the airport on the way out - enough for one each morning and one each afternoon. It is important to keep the energy going and you burn off a lot of calories sitting there shivering
> take a small thermos - I like coffee, soup or Bovril. If you think there might be a lot of waiting then consider something like the Jetboil

Last edited:
And don't forget to keep the rifle covered.....if it gets that cold, lubricating oil can freeze, and you wouldn't want to miss the animal of a lifetime....

So I must say I am stunned by some of the comments, what would you all do if you were shooting in extreme cold? I meam -40-50oC like you experience in the northern territories of Canada, Russia and Alaska.
I have found the type of gear Carp and Cod anglers wear in winter here in the UK works fine in Germany, Poland, Czech rep etc, I wear a pair of TF gear Bib and brace over trousers, over normal moleskin trousers, a normal country check shirt, wind proof fleece jacket and a Loden shooting coat, I have taken the latter of during the actual shooting!
Good quality boots and a hat...
Hand warmers are a good idea if you suffer with cold extemeties, I have Reynaulds so always carry them and I keep my hands in pockets until needed.
Before anyone asks, I would class myself as normal build, middle aged and I have hunted in Europe in temps of Minus 30 and elswhere down to a bone chilling -57, [something I dont wish to do again!]
The Only time I have truely layered up, was in truely northern climes.

Moisture wicking undergarments and keeping your energy level high are a must.

To keep warm you need to understand how human body works. If the central parts of body start to cool, the blood circulation in extreme parts is drastically reduced.

It's most efficient to keep your torso warm, and thus lengthen the time it takes before feet, hands start to get cold. Also head dissipates a lot of warmth. So if your feet are cold, ensure you have a good cap and jacket etc!

I haven't used battery powered thermal garments myself, but have heard good reviews. If I were to try them, I'd choose a vest. Problem with e.g. thermal insoles is that most people get sweating of feet and you know what happens next...

So I must say I am stunned by some of the comments

Not quite sure why you're stunned? I don't see much different in what you have stated over what's been said before - layers, keep extremities warm, handwarmers, etc.

I wear layers all the time, since it's equally as applicable in temperate climates as cold ones.

Having been to Russia and Finland in the winter I'd add perhaps goose down or fur, but otherwise I don't see much wrong with the advice given.

P.S. You have my sincere sympathies if you're suffering from Reynaud's Disease. My mother has had to cope with the same for years, and I know it can be excruciatingly painful.

I can't comment if you are waiting around, i only did that once in the states, it was the coldest i have ever been, i was glad of the 3 mile walk back to the car.
My advice is much the same as above if you are active, layer up, merino is the best next to skin under layer.
I start off with the minimum, you soon warm up, then if you stop you can start to get cold, so add another layer, off you go again, warm up remove layer and so on.
In this video it was -23c, my base layer was merino, i can honestly say i never felt the cold, but when i went to chamber a round, the bolt had frozen, when i went to take a drink, the water had frozen.
Buy a buff as well.

Cheers
Richard

Not quite sure why you're stunned? I don't see much different in what you have stated over what's been said before - layers, keep extremities warm, handwarmers, etc.

P.S. You have my sincere sympathies if you're suffering from Reynaud's Disease. My mother has had to cope with the same for years, and I know it can be excruciatingly painful.
Willie, perhaps its the way I read the previous comments, eg lots of layers, merino wool underwear etc.
It sounded like people were dressing up as nanook of the north.
I find it can be far colder in Scotlands wet windy weather or at least it feels colder chilling to the core, then it is in europes interior.
I have seen a lot of people putting on to many layers only to find they then cannot shoot!

I have suffered with Reynauds for a few years and it looks like its part and parcel of the Arthritic ailiments I suffer with or the drugs I need to use.

some say that some powders, if you reload, are better in extreme cold than others. Some say use magnum primers to help ignite the load. I have no experience of either.

But it may help to put some rounds in a box in your chiller to get them cold and then check zero to see if it makes a difference,

Drive hunt, don't worry about the rounds/POI. Stalking in mountains, may have noticeable difference.

Problem is, you'd have to freeze the gun also to get relevant results. And if distances are longer (where drop in MV would matter) you need to account for shooting angle and density of air also.

So I must say I am stunned by some of the comments, what would you all do if you were shooting in extreme cold? I meam -40-50oC like you experience in the northern territories of Canada, Russia and Alaska.
I have found the type of gear Carp and Cod anglers wear in winter here in the UK works fine in Germany, Poland, Czech rep etc, I wear a pair of TF gear Bib and brace over trousers, over normal moleskin trousers, a normal country check shirt, wind proof fleece jacket and a Loden shooting coat, I have taken the latter of during the actual shooting!
Good quality boots and a hat...
Hand warmers are a good idea if you suffer with cold extemeties, I have Reynaulds so always carry them and I keep my hands in pockets until needed.
Before anyone asks, I would class myself as normal build, middle aged and I have hunted in Europe in temps of Minus 30 and elswhere down to a bone chilling -57, [something I dont wish to do again!]
The Only time I have truely layered up, was in truely northern climes.

I think different people feel the cold in different ways, so what works for one isn't enough for another.
Hence, perhaps, some of the comments.

I've never experienced extreme cold - minus 17 degrees C has been my lowest - so can't say much about what might be required at really low temps, but just to illustrate my point re: different people's response to cold, myself and my wife:
I never get cold feet, and even in winter just wear very thin socks in wellies or walking boots. Maybe move up to a medium pair if it gets really cold. The missus, on the other hand, would have at least a couple of pairs of thick socks in thermal boots.
I suffer from cold legs, so if out shooting in winter I wear long-johns, jeans and thick overtrousers. The wife would be happy in just jeans, with thin waterproof overtrousers if raining. (For a normal winter day on the farm I'd have jeans, overalls and waterproof trousers, so the same number of layers on my legs).
Body - both about the same, layered, topping off with bodywarmer then coat, but I'll often do away with the coat. She won't.
She always wears a scarf and covers ears, but I always have my neck bare or I overheat. Don't cover my ears either.
Both wear hats.

Last edited:
Back