Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sausage supplies

Sausage supplies

My new sausage stuffer arrived today. I have loads of frozen pigeon breasts in the freezer.

Where does everyone get their skins & mix from (links would be great to websites).

Also what ratio of pork fat would you use?

Tongmaster. They have every kind of seasoning about and it's free postage. As for fat generally use about 30%. Just mix till your happy and the mince isn't too crumbly. The more the texture is softer it's easier to fill the casings

Atb.......scott

As above for fat content 30% by weight I get my skins from any good butcher I mince twice once on largest size then blend seasoning fat meat and liquid then smaller size mince rest for a while then stuff not tried pigeon yet let us know how you get on
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Tongmaster. They have every kind of seasoning about and it's free postage. As for fat generally use about 30%. Just mix till your happy and the mince isn't too crumbly. The more the texture is softer it's easier to fill the casings

Atb.......scott

What he said !
    & if haven't clicked yet try you tubing

Scott rea project

Paul

Plus one for Scott's post

As stated 30% fat, or what I do is use 60% belly pork.

Most of my stuff I get from scobies direct, they will sell you a mix with the correct amount of rusk + herbs and tell you how much water to use. Much easier when you are starting out, when you get the hang of it you can start making up recipes and adjusting to your taste.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post

Atb.......scott
    Cheers for the tips Scott. I'm sure it will take a while to get the hang off, so that is why I'll try it with pigeons before I try venison etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    As above for fat content 30% by weight I get my skins from any good butcher I mince twice once on largest size then blend seasoning fat meat and liquid then smaller size mince rest for a while then stuff not tried pigeon yet let us know how you get on
    Jake
    Thanks jake, ill certainly let you know how the pigeon works. Has anyone tried it with rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post

What he said !
    & if haven't clicked yet try you tubing

Scott rea project

Paul
    I'll look up Scott rea project on YouTube, thanks for the tip?

Quote Originally Posted by matmull243 View Post
    Plus one for Scott's post
    Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    As stated 30% fat, or what I do is use 60% belly pork.

Most of my stuff I get from scobies direct, they will sell you a mix with the correct amount of rusk + herbs and tell you how much water to use. Much easier when you are starting out, when you get the hang of it you can start making up recipes and adjusting to your taste.
    I'll maybe try belly pork, will be easier to get the hold off than pork fat. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    Thanks I'll check that link out.

Thanks for all the replies lads. I'm sure I'll be back on asking more questions.

Just done a batch of pheasant sausages with new stuffer , works well ,

Need to use this more get more practice
    ...... I never usually mince again once all mixed together but since watching Scott's videos I decide to ..... So see how this lot are
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449606581.681815.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	64269

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Just done a batch of pheasant sausages with new stuffer , works well ,

Need to use this more get more practice
    ...... I never usually mince again once all mixed together but since watching Scott's videos I decide to ..... So see how this lot are
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449606581.681815.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	64269

Paul
    These look awesome Paul. Can I ask how many pheasants it took for you to make that many sausages?