Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling venison

Selling venison

I've been looking through the requirements of selling venison and game birds to game dealers, butchers (retailers) and final consumers. By the looks of the government website if I sell to a game dealer or AGHE you need a game handling licence but to sell to a retailer or final consumer you don't.

I know I could go and do the large and small game meat hygiene course to be covered or DSC level 1 and be covered for large game.

How does everyone else sell their venison and what regulations do you stick too??

Thanks james

There is only one set of regulations. What you deduce is correct, although you will struggle to find one that is able to take game in fur or feather. You are still liable though to abide by food standards requirements and traceability to ensure the carcass is fit to enter the food chain and records kept for traceability purposes.
    MS

Selling venison

So as a DSC level 1 & 2 , would you recommend still doing this hygiene course ? Or need to ?
    2nd ... I remember something along the lines of I can sell a carcass but not allowed to sell "processed " meat , ie burgers etc.??
    Sorry to hijack thread but curious on this also .
    Plus are there differences in legislation between England / Scotland ?

Again apologise James

Paul

It is only DSC 1 that gives you the large game handling certificate which allows you to sell to other than the final consumer, or retailer supplying the final consumer.
    The laws in England allow this and you can sell to an approved game handling establishment.
    The laws in Scotland are different in that you may only sell venison to someone who holds a venison dealers licence.
    MS

See the Wild Game Guide 2015

I applied on line as a cottage industry and got regestered to sell prepaired meet direct to end user

You need DSC1, cull records, chiller records a chiller and a meat prep area with hand wash facilities(my one is my kitchen) meat board and suitable equippment

I was able to down load everything i needed on line

Your knife steralizing macheen (dishwasher) must operate above 82c and you need Detox serface cleener as a steralizing agent (domsetic product but aproved for use in this instance)

PM me an email address and Ill send over the PDFs i have.

ATB

Chasey
    Last edited by Chasey; 07-12-2015 at 12:30.

The NGO guy Alan Barrell wrote a really good article on this in the last Rifle Shooter magazine. Basically you are right, but you must make sure that you fulfil the The Food Safety Act 1900 and regulation 178/2002 (look them up online). You must also be registered as a food business with your local authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylyekeeper View Post
    The NGO guy Alan Barrell wrote a really good article on this in the last Rifle Shooter magazine. Basically you are right, but you must make sure that you fulfil the The Food Safety Act 1900 and regulation 178/2002 (look them up online). You must also be registered as a food business with your local authority.
    Not to sell in fur or feather direct to final consumer, or retailer supplying final consumer! It's a bit of a 'loop-hole' really.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Wylyekeeper View Post

In England (dont know about scotland) most of the rules dont apply to cottage industry (less than 300 deer per year)

Register as a food buisness and they will send the inspector round to sort out the rest.

They are very helpfull and will point you in the right direction for what you need. It cost me nothing in Maidstone

TBH its all common sense.

As an example as a cottage industry my meat transport is my car and an ice box. Trays or body bags used in transit from cull ground to fridge

My chiller is a Foster Fridge

My skinning area is the car port with 1000gauge virgin plastic used to provide a cleen work space

My meet prep aiea is the island in my kitchen with a home made chopping board

As its just me none of the staff or training regs & records need apply

Its all about tracableity, record keeping, heygeen and meat inspection

Its not hard, it just requires a bit of diciplin

ATB

Thanks for the answers guys. Looking at the regulations and the article in rifle shooter. The one thing I can't understand is why I can sell to a retailer supplying without game handling very. but can't sell to a game dealer without it. To me it should be the other way round or the same. A couple of pubs have enquirer about venison in the skin. Do they constitute retailers supplying the final man?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy.jim86 View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys. Looking at the regulations and the article in rifle shooter. The one thing I can't understand is why I can sell to a retailer supplying without game handling very. but can't sell to a game dealer without it. To me it should be the other way round or the same. A couple of pubs have enquirer about venison in the skin. Do they constitute retailers supplying the final man?
    As far as I am aware you cant suply anyone except game deelers in the skin or out of it without registration