Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case trimmer

Case trimmer

Can anyone recommend me a case trimmer as I'm now getting free once fire brass from semi auto rifles. Preferably not a lee quick trim as I'm not keen of bits of brass falling all over my press

Needs to work with .223 mainly but if it would work with my .243 when they need doing that would be good

Regards Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Psjunkie View Post
    Can anyone recommend me a case trimmer as I'm now getting free once fire brass from semi auto rifles. Preferably not a lee quick trim as I'm not keen of bits of brass falling all over my press

Needs to work with .223 mainly but if it would work with my .243 when they need doing that would be good

Regards Ben
    Before someone suggests the frustratingly limited L.E.Wilson, I would like to put in a word for the Forster. It's about the most versatile trimmer you can buy. Cheap to switch calibers, too.~Muir

PS: They always "need doing". You should trim all to the shortest case in your bunch.
    Last edited by Muir; 06-12-2015 at 21:00.

Yup.
    Lyman use your shell holder. I had one set up for just the 5mm Remington but I gave it away and stayed with the Forster.~Muir

SD Regular
    Forster is the benchmark. Wilson? I wouldn't give one room on my bench!

The Lyman is good, especially if you have calibres with different base sizes, say .223, .308, .303, 7mm Remington Magnum and etc..

However if you have just one or two calibres and they are based on the .223" and the 7x57 Mauser (that's 8mm Mauser, .243, .270, .308, .30.06) then the Forster is better in that I prefer its collet system as being positive.

Also the Forster has all the add-on parts suach as outside neck turner, inside neck reamer, hollow pointer, and primer packet cleaners and de-chamfer tools.

Hannam's Reloading bring them in and are very good. Plus they are in Yorkshire. They may also be cheaper than Brownell's UK!

I'll take a look at the Forster then

Thanks gents

SD Regular
    Page 15 on Hannam's pdf dowloadable price list..

SD Regular
    Original? Classic? Confusing!

Actually in real terms it is better expressed as "Standard Rifle Cartridge Size" (aka Original) and "Big American Blackpowder/British Big Game Rifle Cartridge Size" (aka Classic) but is then further complicated.

Even I find it difficult to understand and I've had a Forster Trimmer (long before they existed in these two names "Original" and "Classic" sicne the late 1970s.

Best way to understand it is to read the two links below. I think that works it out best!

But, yes, BOTH the "short" or "long" base length work with and can be used with an "Originall" trimmer.

I used both with the "short" or "standard" best for, say .44 Magnum and the "standard" or "long" best for .270' WCF, .280 Remington or .30-06. For .303 British or .243 Winchester or .308 Winchester then the "standard" length is best.

You see the difference is not the bases but the hole size in the two "ends" that take the trimmer shaft itself and the numbered collets. The shaft on the "Classic" being larger diameter and the collets also larger diameter.

But lastly bear in mind that whilst ALL the extra bits will work on the "Original" a couple of them won't work on the "Classic".

Hope it helps! Read the links and that'll clear up the confusion.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/produ...r-accessories/

http://www.forsterproducts.com/produ...r-accessories/

I've scratched my head and even had a cup of tea to try to think how to explain it...but the two above links do it better!

If reloading .44 Magnum, .243 Win., .308 Win., ONLY use "Original" on its "Standard" base.

It reloading .44 Magnum, .243 Win., .308 Win., .270 WCF or .30-06 use "Original" on its "Standard" base.

If NOT reloading .44 Magnum but are .243 Win., .308 Win., .270 WCF, .30-06 AND .300 H & H AND PRIMER POCKET DE-CHAMFER TOOL use "Original" on its "Long" base.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 06-12-2015 at 22:35.

Think the original should do for me then as only trimming .223 and .243. Confusing stuff