Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Scotland selling venison / game processed

Anyone in Scotland selling venison / game processed

Hi there

Is there anyone here in Scotland selling game / venison in its own form & in processed form ,
    From their own premises ?
    If so could pm me with contact details I'd like to quiz on legalities

Cheers
    Paul

Contact Davie Urquart at "Skye Game".

By the sound of your question I assume you have ,,,, or will have venison for sale,,,,I am looking for some venison for my freezer,,,,,,,, not for resale,,, will pay ,,, game dealer prices,,,, couple of red deer would be nice drop me a pm

Cheers
    Ray

Sorry Ray , nothing for sale .
    Just querying ideas

Think there will be something on basc site, do u not have to register premises as a food place etc and wot the exmptions etc are.
    Been a while since i've looked into all that

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Hi there

Is there anyone here in Scotland selling game / venison in its own form & in processed form ,
    From their own premises ?
    If so could pm me with contact details I'd like to quiz on legalities

Cheers
    Paul
    Paul. Have a read of The supply of wild game: a guide to food hygiene legislation | Food Standards Agency It seems fairy straight forward to register your own premises as a food business. Regards JCS

I take it you want to sell to the public if so In Scotland you will need to register as a venison dealer, with all the record keeping that involves, premises will also need to be inspected and up to a certain standard, a bit more complicated if processing than if selling carcasses in the skin.

I don't know the most recent legislation, but at one time the estate I worked on had a restricted license which allowed me to sell whole carcasses in the skin to the public, no skinning or processing on the premises, but could skin and butcher for someone who had purchased a carcasse by private arrangement on theirs.

We did look into processing but the costs involved in updating our premises were too great.

But you really need to look at the most up to date requirements for a venison dealers license, and registering as a food business.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 07-12-2015 at 08:20.

Cheers guys
    I'm registered with local council as a food business but only in as I have a chiller , it's noted that I process on premises but for private use age , this was incase I was reported .
    It's the bit about bringing premises up to standard I'm interested in ,
    I'm sure I read lately someone on here who did it & got their home kitchen passed?
    Don't know I'd like to speak to someone whose done it .
    Have a coffee pick their brains

I should have explained that the law is different in Scotland unlike England we can not sell to the public unless we are a Licensed Venison Dealer or we have acquired the venison from a Licensed Venison Dealer,where as in England the trained hunter may sell small amounts to the final consumer unfortunatley this does not apply north of the border, it does go on but it is illegal.

I am registered as a food business.
    not worth registering as a venison dealer to sell processed
    IMO very large volumes are required to justify the infrastructure and license costs for a few pounds more per pound

I have a chill and sell deer to RGHE's "in the fur"

I "give" my processed venison away.