Thread: Terminal Effect anomalies

Terminal Effect anomalies

I shot a hind at the weekend, one of two with identical ammo, range, orientation etc

180gr Remington Core-lokt (this is a bullet similar to the Interlock that is designed for very controlled expansion)
    MV 2900-2950fps
    Range - 175yds
    slight wind maybe 8-10mph left to right

Hind was standing almost level, front feet slightly downhill, facing left to right very slightly away from me
    Bullet entered just behind most rearward aspect of front leg (deliberately, I try to avoid legs if at all possible)

Entry hole was very small, calibre sized

On inspection when hung the bullet had clipped the right hand edge of one rib on entry and at least one major part of it turned almost 90 degrees right, cutting through through 4 further ribs cleanly removing a 1/2" section of each. before clipping the inside edge of the 5th rib and I assume continuing its route through the chest!
    Behind this area the skin was totally unbroken but an area the size of my fist could be lifted away from the ribs.

The area was also covered in grass mulch (the stomach and oesophagus were both untouched.

The bullet (or part thereof) then carried on through the lungs , essentially turning left again, lodging between the ribs and offside shoulder.

Deer dropped within 10ft
    Next shot same angle passed through as expected and the deer dropped in its shadow in spectacular style.

I had some RWS conepoint .270 ammo do some right angles on me twice in consecutive shots but that was fairly straightforward hit a rib on a quartering animal and unfortunately went green
    The path here was either not remotely in a straight line or the bullet broke into two significant lumps and they went on two slightly zig zag courses
    not that special, bullets do freaky things sometimes

what confused both of us attending was the grass presence behind the entry wound and behind the ribs.
    There was no alimentary canal damage and the animal wasn't covered in grass for a bullet to drag it in.

Discuss!

Any more anomaly observations?

The grassy knoll again. Got anyone called Warren on here?

My most recent oddity:

Small roe buck at about 180 yards. Quartering away, facing to right, head a touch downhill. No wind.
    95gr Hornady SST (superformance).
    Point of aim rear lung (inch or two back from leg). Estimated that with the angle of the body, this would take bullet forward through upper heart, into offside shoulder.

Actual point of impact a bit further back - just ahead of diaphragm. Clipped a rib. And then it all went odd. Never really worked it out, but:

- neat 2" hole blown through right (nearside haunch).
    - 6" diagonal slit in abdomen, from right testes to just ahead of left edge of sternum.
    - no gut puncture, no green anywhere EXCEPT in the muscles of the damaged haunch (similar to yours - utter mystery as to where it came from).
    - jacket fragments recovered from left (farside) haunch.
    - bullet core recovered from under skin just behind left shoulder, having gone through another rib.

On shot strike, the deer kicked out back legs, took two steps and sat down. Still very much alive, with head up and looking around. I waited for 10 mins, convinced it would bleed out (unaware at this point what the wound was like). When nothing seemed to be happening, crawled to 100 yards and shot it again in the head.
    Last edited by Mungo; 07-12-2015 at 22:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    My most recent oddity:

Small roe buck at about 180 yards. Quartering away, facing to right, head a touch downhill. No wind.
    95gr Hornady SST (superformance).
    Point of aim rear lung (inch or two back from leg). Estimated that with the angle of the body, this would take bullet forward through upper heart, into offside shoulder.

Actual point of impact a bit further back - just ahead of diaphragm. Clipped a rib. And then it all went odd. Never really worked it out, but:

- neat 2" hole blown through right (nearside haunch).
    - 6" diagonal slit in abdomen, from right testes to just ahead of left edge of sternum.
    - no gut puncture, no green anywhere EXCEPT in the muscles of the damaged haunch (similar to yours - utter mystery as to where it came from).
    - jacket fragments recovered from left (farside) haunch.
    - bullet core recovered from under skin just behind left shoulder, having gone through another rib.

On shot strike, the deer kicked out back legs, took two steps and sat down. Still very much alive, with head up and looking around. I waited for 10 mins, convinced it would bleed out (unaware at this point what the wound was like). When nothing seemed to be happening, crawled to 100 yards and shot it again in the head.
    thoughts:

1) was the hole in the haunch actually point of impact. At 180 yds group size will be getting towards 2", and given beast was quartering away and bullet could easily be three / four inches to the left of where you aimed. A small roe is a small target and a three inch deflection on a quartering shot could put bullet through haunch.

2) bullet breaking in two then ricochet through carcass

3) fragments of bone acting as missiles and doing their own damage

4) gremlins are at work and once the bullet is fired its anybodies guess as to where the bits end up. Hence the need for large safe backdrops.

Personal preference is for a large slow bullet - much more likely to punch through in a straight line. Might give the immediate knockdown, but less easily deflected.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    thoughts:

1) was the hole in the haunch actually point of impact. At 180 yds group size will be getting towards 2", and given beast was quartering away and bullet could easily be three / four inches to the left of where you aimed. A small roe is a small target and a three inch deflection on a quartering shot could put bullet through haunch.

2) bullet breaking in two then ricochet through carcass

3) fragments of bone acting as missiles and doing their own damage

4) gremlins are at work and once the bullet is fired its anybodies guess as to where the bits end up. Hence the need for large safe backdrops.

Personal preference is for a large slow bullet - much more likely to punch through in a straight line. Might give the immediate knockdown, but less easily deflected.
    Hole in haunch was on inside (roughly parallel to long axis of the body), so no way it was impact.

Think damage was options 2&3 combined. Despite all that, there was remarkably little damage away from the wound tracks, and most of the meat was salvagable.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post

180gr with a terminal velocity of circa 2700fps is not exactly the quickest out there
    I expect the same as you