Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: open FAC application help?

open FAC application help?

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to apply for an open certificate but have no idea on how to write the letter. i have held my FAC for over 2 years as a target shooter. Here is what I have come up with so far. Please could you give me any pointers?
    Thanks in advance!

Jake

Dear
    I am writing to you regarding an application for a less restrictive certificate.
    I have been helping out a friend doing some vermin control over the last 14 months, primarily spotting and retrieving the rabbits. He shoots on over 1,000 acres, mostly in the Witham area. I am wanting to start shooting myself but I need a less restrictive certificate to do so as I only have permission for target shooting at present.

regards
    Jake Gazzard

is your friends land approved for the calibre you are using?

I think it would be considerably more effective with statements from witneses.

I did some paid stalks and got the profesional guides to write on my behalf having witnesed me as a safe shot

I then outlined the reasins I needed the restrictions lifted.

Sadly the outcome is never guarenteed as it seems theres no rules just the whim of the local FAO

ATB

Chasey

Your not asking for a less restrictive condition

you need to have added a Condition to Shoot vermin and allow you to buy Expanding ammo/bullets which will be Restricted to Cleared land only
    to do this you need a reason so Permission to shoot the land by the Owner/occupier and it will need to be Cleared for calibre if its not already

once you have shot like this for a period of time you could ask for the Condition to only shoot cleared land to be removed this is the less restrictive condition
    (the requirement for this vary from force to force)
    Last edited by FGYT; 07-12-2015 at 17:35.

My friends land is suitable for the calibre I am applying for. Should I say I am applying for that particular calibre?
    Also, my friend is writing a letter to go with mine. Is my letter ok?

You might be overcomplicating things a bit to be honest. Get your friend to write a letter saying something like:

"Jake Gazzard has accompanied me several times over the past 14 months controlling vermin/foxes/deer/polar bears, etc on name of farm and he will continue to do so in the future.
    your mate's name and FAC number "

Then write your own note saying "dear FEO, enclosed is a letter from your mate granting me permission to accompany him to shoot vermin, foxes, etc, etc on land over which he has permission. I would like to request the addition of shooting these species and any other lawful quarry to the conditions for whichever rifles, and the condition to allow the purchase of expanding ammunition.
    Regards
    Jake Gazzard"

Bung them in the post together and wait. You've established good reason, so there's no reason for them to say no.

You may not get an "open" certificate, in that it might come with the "land deemed suitable" condition. But if that's the case they'll probably check the land your mate has named anyway.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Although I disagree with the conditioning of some licenses, I do believe in some circumstances they are sensible. What you need to do is show that although your current ticket has such restrictions there is no good reason for them. In order to do this you need to show the COP that by removing them he would not be putting the public at risk. For instance you could obtain a letter from your target club confirming your safety awareness, or you may have completed a safety course when joining?
    You could complete your level one DSC or a lantra course on lamping, which would again show you have been externally assessed.
    If you don't want to complete an official training course (which I'm not surprised at) perhaps if you get more experience actually shooting, and get some letters from witnesses as referees.
    Now I'm sure you have good muzzle awareness and have been perfectly safe at a range, however out in the field with all the excitement and need for quick decisions to be made an inexperienced rifle is more likely to make a mistake. Just the same as new drivers it takes a while to get proficient at looking at all that is required in the situation in a very fast manner whilst always taking safety as the overriding factor. Hence the conditions on new tickets. If you prove your proficiency rather than take the pre-requisite 5 years for an open ticket you may well convince your COP that he will not get egg on hisher face in granting you such an unrestricted ticket. Hope that helps?

Thanks, my friend wasnt sure I could legally shoot his rifle on the land?

The " I " mice have been quite busy!!

I am writing to you regarding an application for a less restrictive certificate.
    I have been helping out a friend doing some vermin control over the last 14 months, primarily spotting and retrieving the rabbits. He shoots on over 1,000 acres, mostly in the Witham area. I am wanting to start shooting myself but I need a less restrictive certificate to do so as I only have permission for target shooting at present.

For starters you will need land to shoot over! That will require permission in some form. Having it in writing will make a good start to your case, changing your cert to a quarry species would be needed. Also expanding ammo, and moderator would help!

The better paper work trail you have then your case will improve, one thing you don't have is proven experience in your letter.
    Spotting and picking up rabbits wont be on the list of giving you a open cert....

If you can tag on to your friends perm then that would be a result, however that will require a test of friendship, convincing the land owner to sign....

Your licencing manager knows where you back stop is...behind the paper/steel target!
    Nothing in your letter states anything different.

Find a bit of ground with permission to shoot rabbits on, with in the letter the wording " permission to shoot" rabbits with .22lr or what calibre you have.

Granted we all have to start some where, however it takes time to gain experience as there is not short cut for time in the field.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

On several occaisions over the past few weeks i have noticed a few posters say that although target shooters have had training and shoot under the control of a RCO its a completely different kettle of fish shooting in the field and that mantoring is a good idea.As a shooter that has shot for many years at both but starting as a target shooter i find this quite annoying, i can only assume that those that are spouting this inaccuracy have never shot at a decent rifle club. I have been shooting vermin with guys and also witnessed shooters who's gun handling is so poor they would have been kicked out of any rifle.I think all field shooters would benefit from membership of a rifle club where safe gun handling and use is taught by trained and approved instructers rather then jumpimg on the bandwagon assuming all target shooters have no idea how to conduct themselves in the countryside with a rifle.Ian.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 07-12-2015 at 18:31.