open FAC application help?

TBH I'd call BASC and ask their firearms advice team about how best to get this done.

They're pretty helpful and can help with "negotiations".

Your not asking for a less restrictive condition

you need to have added a Condition to Shoot vermin and allow you to buy Expanding ammo/bullets which will be Restricted to Cleared land only
to do this you need a reason so Permission to shoot the land by the Owner/occupier and it will need to be Cleared for calibre if its not already

once you have shot like this for a period of time you could ask for the Condition to only shoot cleared land to be removed this is the less restrictive condition
(the requirement for this vary from force to force)

This is the correct advice and how you should take things forwards.

On several occaisions over the past few weeks i have noticed a few posters say that although target shooters have had training and shoot under the control of a RCO its a completely different kettle of fish shooting in the field and that mantoring is a good idea.As a shooter that has shot for many years at both but starting as a target shooter i find this quite annoying, i can only assume that those that are spouting this inaccuracy have never shot at a decent rifle club. I have been shooting vermin with guys and also witnessed shooters who's gun handling is so poor they would have been kicked out of any rifle.I think all field shooters would benefit from membership of a rifle club where safe gun handling and use is taught by trained and approved instructers rather then jumpimg on the bandwagon assuming all target shooters have no idea how to conduct themselves in the countryside with a rifle.Ian.

Having done both in my time that's probably true both ways. Field safety is very different to range safety (both being the most practical thing you can do in the circumstances given the conditions and what you're trying to achieve) and both have their established practices for a good reason.

You see it in clay vs game shooters too - closing metal to wood, no need for real muzzle awareness once you're in the cage, no idea about use of safety catch. Vs unshipping an unbroken gun from its slip and pointing it in all directions, swinging through the line or standing on peg with it over your shoulder giving a picker up a heart attack. All very common. I used to let it go but now I have a quiet word. Except in the case of pointing a loaded gun at someone, in which case it's not a quiet word.

Regarding safe firearms handling i think we can all agree, especially those that have had some kind of formal training that gun handling by some, be it in the field or at the range leaves a lot to be desired.Ian.

Lots of different opinion's Jake, why not give your licensing dept a call, tell them what you're wanting and take their avdice, after all its them that will be making the decision.
I've never known fld not be helpful.
Good luck

Mark

Sounds like you local licensing dept is a bit rubbish! If our dept up here were so rubbish I'd be having words with their boss, they are supposed to be there for guidance as well as presiding over their godly power of to grant or not to grant :)

Sounds like you local licensing dept is a bit rubbish! If our dept up here were so rubbish I'd be having words with their boss, they are supposed to be there for guidance as well as presiding over their godly power of to grant or not to grant :)

You're not far wrong there! Here's what Essex Police laughingly call their 'Service Delivery Targets' - 16 weeks for the renewal of an FAC/SGC after expiry of the existing one :eek:

https://www.essex.police.uk/contact_us/firearms_application/service_delivery_targets.aspx

You couldn't make it up.

Oh my God, just looked at that link, that's horrendous.

Unbelievable!
And to think it was Essex police who issued me my first SGC when I was about 15, back in the day when it was all signed and settled in the time it took to drink a friendly cuppa!

Just had a look at the link post previously, can't believe what I've read! Not acceptable to have to wait that long.

And don't forget that a S.7 Permit will not cover the Renewal applicant for expanding ammo - that will have to go to an RFD or FAC holder who is authorised to possess. Despite the blurb on the Essex Police webpage the applicant is effectively prevented from shooting quarry whilst awaiting reissue of his FAC.

You are unlikely to have an 'open' ticket straight off. They will in all likelihood give you a 'closed' ticket and once you have shot for a few years consider opening it.

Back