Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So What scope do you use and why?

So What scope do you use and why?

I have had my fair share of scopes and am currently using a Zeiss Victory Diavari FL 6-24 X 56 T* on a Tikka T3 light in .243, but feel my critical last light performance is being compromised by too much glass.

I can hear you all now, well ditch the high zoom scope and go for a fixed 8X.

I came from a stunning S & B 8 X 56, but as an active club member found I just couldn't compete in the stalking comps, sometimes out to 300yds, getting the Zeiss fixed this, but I feel I am missing out on last light shots as a result.

I have looked at the 72 mm objective version, but that's a big piece of glass to haul around (any comment/experience?).

I sometimes find upping the power on those longer range/ difficult shots in cover really helpful, and find 10-12 commonly used and on odd occasions, 16-20 X even for stalking.

Am getting a .260 (maybe subject for a new post!), so may be able to split the two disciplines in the future, but in the meantime......

Whats your thoughts on the best zoom range, glass quality, make, model, to allow for competitive and stalking needs into that last light shot?

(waiting for the bun fight!)

how old are your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    how old are your eyes?
    Ehh, as old as I am, is this saying I'm blind or a genuine question?

Relevant question, I think. As you age, the max diameter to which your pupils can dilate reduces. Maybe 8mm for a young kid, 5mm as an OAP. So if you're 65 with, say, 5mm pupils, you might be buying (and carrying) large objectives, but unable to reap any benefit (other than a more tolerant eye alignment)
    8x56 = 7mm exit diameter. This wouldn't appear any brighter than 8x40 = 5mm exit diameter.

Without doubt age is a consideration. I'm 59 and started to wear reading glasses around 3 years ago. My long vision has always been excellent and generally still is. But the dilation issue is affecting me. To be honest I notice it most when doing an evening duck flight. Whilst there is still a bit of gloaming I am on the button and can see the ducks before most people, but a little bit darker and I have to give way to those younger.

As for specific scopes, there are so many differing conditions and likes by the user to be taken into consideration that I will leave any observations on that to my betters.

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    Relevant question, I think. As you age, the max diameter to which your pupils can dilate reduces. Maybe 8mm for a young kid, 5mm as an OAP. So if you're 65 with, say, 5mm pupils, you might be buying (and carrying) large objectives, but unable to reap any benefit (other than a more tolerant eye alignment)
    8x56 = 7mm exit diameter. This wouldn't appear any brighter than 8x40 = 5mm exit diameter.
    That may be so, but with the big 56mm Zeiss you can get the 5mm EP at 11x compared to 8x in the 8x40.

Just wind the magnification down. You Wont Get much better performance than you have now.

Always a with a zoom as it will do for long range shots and you can decrease the zoom for close shots.

Always one of the top German makes, with a 30mm tube and at least a 50mm objective lens.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

I have a Leupold VX-2 4-12x50 in low light I can see more by looking through the scope than I can with the naked eye

I have a Redfield revolution 3 9 50, because I like it and it works well for me.

Scoby 270