Thread: Ballistic reticles for stalking?

Ballistic reticles for stalking?

Hi all.

Doe's anyone use a Swaro scope with the A4-300i reticle on a deer/foxing rifle?
    I like a plain cross hair but, the 300i isn't too messy, as some can be.
    Whats your thoughts, is it a waste and just for longer range and targets?
    I've a 3-12x56 Zeiss HT with a 60 ret on my 308 barrel and love it.
    This would be to replace a Duralyt, which I also rate very highly, especially for the price.
    It would go onto the 22-250 barrel and like i say, used for roe (obviously where legal) and fox.

So waddya think?
    cjs

I have in the past used a Swarovski ladder type reticle. I'm not using one at the minute. I expect at some point next year to resume using the ladder reticle. I found it handy to have the 260 Rem zeroed at about 175 yds and know that the first dot down gave me a 252 yd zero at x 15 which might be utilised for a second or third shot at red deer.

I am using a plain 4A type reticle at present.

Regards

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 08-12-2015 at 20:29. Reason: Numbers corrected to image below.

Daft question…

Doe's this type of ret mean that, a inch and half high @ 100 yards zero, is out the window?

I take it you just zero @ 100 and use the ret instead of hold over.

cjs

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I have in the past used a Swarovski ladder type reticle. I'm not using one at the minute. I expect at some point next year to resume using the ladder reticle. I found it handy to have the 260 Rem zeroed at about 170 yds and know that the first dot down gave me a 230 yd zero at x 15 which might be utilised for a second or third shot at red deer.

I am using a plain 4A type reticle at present.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    Daft question…

Doe's this type of ret mean that, a inch and half high @ 100 yards zero, is out the window?

I take it you just zero @ 100 and use the ret instead of hold over.

cjs
    No. Please see attached. I've zeroed an inch high at 100 yds which has given me a 175 yard zero. I've added two sets of drops to the reticle image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20gr%20SP.jpg

In the field I've only utilised the 252 yard dot at x 15. The rest of the numbers are a bit academic.

Regards

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 08-12-2015 at 20:27.

I have used the Burris Ballistic Plex on four of their scopes, and the Nikon on one 4-12x, and the Vortex on a 4-12x40 ( fairly new to me ). I have also used the mil dots on 4x32 Hawke on a .22 LR and .30-30, and now have a Hawke 2-7x32AO on a .22 LR.

The Nikon BDC is a set of little circles, which is nice for load development on round targets, but a bit busy for hunting.

The Vortex hashes are very fine, so may be a bit hard to see in dim light, but I see no reason for hunting shots at long range in bad light. The Vortex BDC has horizontal stadia for ranging the target, and I like that, but if I were really going to shoot at over 300 yards, I would probably take a laser yardage rangefinder anyway.

The Burris hashes are easier to see, and still fine enough to not cover up much at longer range.
    I am going to buy a Burris E1 next, which has a thicker crosshair and tree like the Swaro, with offsets for 10 mph windage.

Realistically, other than the loopy .22 LR, I don't use the hashes for hunting, because a zero of 200 yards on my crosshair enables me to make a 300 yard shot with ease, and how often would I do that, anyway? They are great on a .22 LR or .22 WMR. I think I would have to put one on a .22 Hornet or .17 if I had one of those.

I see a great benefit for these on a .223 for varmints, or on a serious mountain hunt where you may have to shoot at 300 yards or more. They would be super on a military rifle, both for ranging and aiming. I have shot with the Burris out to 600 yards with a .270, ringing first shot hits on targets every 100 yards out.