Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boar shot, to shots fired ratio ?

Boar shot, to shots fired ratio ?

Got back on Monday from another weekend in Portugal, but with a reality check this time, and didn't get to fire a shot.

Saturday, peg looked good, heard plenty of shots, and thought it would be a good bag, even though nothing showed for me. When we got back, 34 boar had been shot, less than I'd been expecting, based on the number of shots we were hearing, and then got told there was a shot count of "191", an average of just over 5.5 shots per boar, I was shocked, but it seems to be about right, according to the locals !

I think half the reason is that semi autos, are common place (predominantly the Browning BAR) and the mentality is to keep shooting until the animal drops. It's common to see animals hit 2-4 times, and the idea of just taking one shot, seems alien to them, in this case them, being the Spanish, & Portuguese.

My average is below 2, but that may also explain why it took me 7 trips before I shot a boar as I'm only shooting when I feel there is a good shot on. I'd be interested to hear from the more experienced driven boar hunters, what is considered a realistic average ratio, 5>6 seems very high ?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I don't think I'm more experienced - in fact I'd say considerably less - but IIRC so far I am running at 11 shots for 4 boar.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

You always keep firing at wild boar until you know it is is down or out of site or you run out of ammo!!
    I had 6 shots at 1 boar with 5 hits last month and reloaded ready just in case when it came running
    Past me at full throttle.
    It the last man that hits the boar and drops it not the man who shot it first that gets to claim it in Croatia so you had best make sure that you put it down when you have the chance.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

I have just returned from a trip to Hungary and on our first day, which was poor, we had 7 Boar and 8 Fallow Hinds on the ground, one more very big pig was found the following day.
    However, the shot count was 50 of which four were taken by an Austrian who shot four pigs on the trot.
    He saw the sow and it's five followers, so shot four of the followers, each shot dropped each pig on the spot.
    He was using a stainless underlever of 45 something calibre.
    The local Agent did say he expected his group to average three shots per pig, I said nothing.
    But as Mark has said we, Brits, do tend to be a bit more reserved in our shooting and try for clean kills each time.
    On one occasion in Germany I was chastised severely for not shooting any of the three pigs that came from behind me and very close to me too, but they ran in a straight line going away from me so all I could see was their rumps I was not willing to shoot.
    I did take a line on them hoping they would veer off but if they did it was after they had taken cover.

I've never shot driven hoofed game of any kind, but as a general rule do British sportsmen tend to do some training at the running target before doing it in the flesh?

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    You always keep firing at wild boar until you know it is is down or out of site or you run out of ammo!!
    I had 6 shots at 1 boar with 5 hits last month and reloaded ready just in case when it came running
    Past me at full throttle.
    It the last man that hits the boar and drops it not the man who shot it first that gets to claim it in Croatia so you had best make sure that you put it down when you have the chance.
    Like most, I've had a few shots I'm not proud of, but all but a few boar have dropped with just one shot, a couple took two, and a couple got away.

What caliber are you shooting, or are we talking super boar here ?

Dalua, I've been looking at going to a practice range with a couple of friends before a trip next Feb', but apart from having a go at the Bisley H4H day a few months ago, I shared a peg on a couple of driven pheasant days this season, and I'm sure shooting clays, or pheasant helps a lot, practicing swing, and lead ?

When I was young, a friend owned a mined-out sand pit, and let me use if for all sorts of target practice. Another friend and I would practice running game shots by bolting a piece of round plywood precisely centered on a used tire. Onto that, we would mark the exact center with a hole and use a nail to center up a paper bulls eye target. Then one of us would go up a bit of slope and launch it rolling and bouncing across the floor of the pit, so the other could shoot at the moving bulls eye. The sand backstop gave instant feedback of how we were doing with our lead and swing.

I was shooting a 444marlin that day .ammo is still the cheapest part of a driven hunting trip so when you get only one chance you have to make it count. I practice in the UK with my rifle and will fire over 300 rounds at paper /moving targets at variable ranges free hand just for practice
    I have never kept a shot to kill ratio on wild boar .but I have shot an average of 3-4 boar a trip over the last 9 years. Last year I shot 5 of which one was a bronze medal which I dropped with one shot and the put another in it for safety.
    The more I shoot the luckier I get as the saying goes
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    I was shooting a 444marlin that day .ammo is still the cheapest part of a driven hunting trip so when you get only one chance you have to make it count. I practice in the UK with my rifle and will fire over 300 rounds at paper /moving targets at variable ranges free hand just for practice
    I have never kept a shot to kill ratio on wild boar .but I have shot an average of 3-4 boar a trip over the last 9 years. Last year I shot 5 of which one was a bronze medal which I dropped with one shot and the put another in it for safety.
    The more I shoot the luckier I get as the saying goes
    I get satisfaction using the least number of rounds I can. I try, and treat shooting boar, the same way I treat shooting deer, so one shot is the ideal, clearly much harder to achieve on boar, but it's my goal.

I've been very lucky. I only shot my first boar in Feb' this year, and so far, even if I discount the two boar I hit, but we couldn't find, I've shot 13 boar, for 24 shots. 11 boar with one shot, 1 needed 2, another needed 2, the second shot being for humane dispatch, and 9 misses.

I suspect the both the average number of shots, and the misses will increase

6 shots: 3 boar, Red Hind, Fox, one Fox missed

FlyBoy270