Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder measure, which one? One for Muir? Or anybody that can help?

Powder measure, which one? One for Muir? Or anybody that can help?

Hi gents

I would like a bit of feed back on which powder measure to buy, I want to mount it on my turret press so it auto dispenses, although in load development I hand weigh each load for hunting ammo I donít bother just check one in 5. I am shooting deer not international bench rest matches.

I am looking a the two Lee ones but I am not sure which one would be best, I am concerned that these are designed with pistol cartridges in mind and not so much rifle cartridges, if that makes any difference.

Any first hand advice greatly received.

ATB

Tahr

Hi Thar, buy a Harrell. No need to mount on the press, just set up a full tray of primed cases, then set the measure to your desired weight (micrometer adjustment and check with a balance scale) and off you go. You can throw a full tray of cases in a couple of minutes with one of these and the accuracy for hunting loads will be more than acceptable. A lot of the benchrest chaps use these . They are costly but are accurate and very long lasting. They also have the advantages of very precise adjustment and interchangeable powder bottles.

Harrels are nice but a bit of an over kill for deer.
    Frankly, all of the volumetric measures are about the same and all balk with coarser rifle powders. I have at least a dozen measures including Seely Masker BR measures. They all require learning a technique for each powder you use. I use a Belding and Mull for extreme accuracy but this isn't set up for a progressive/ or turret operation.

You are right about the auto-drop Lee measures. They are for pistols. The larger rifle model adapts to their own progressive press.

Since you are talking a turret press, VS a progressive press, you might consider charging cases in a separate operation. You won't find it any slower, really. I have a couple of Lyman six-hole turret presses and leave one set up for handgun, only, using the auto dispense Lee measure. For rifle I have found it faster to just use a standard press, or a turret press only for the convenience of leaving the dies pre-set. ~Muir

I've got a Redding BR30 which works quite well, though it would struggle to throw larger quantities of powder for cases bigger than 308, the 3BR would be better in that respect.

I've also got a Lee perfect powder measure, I like it because it doesn't cut the powder kernels, also it's quite handy the way you can switch off the reservoir, pull it off and empty back into the tub. The only problem is that it does occasionally throw a charge that is a few tenths out...

Hi there mate, Popey here, I used to use a RCBS Turret and it worked ok, but I wanted to get every round the same. I reload .243, .308, 7x57 and 6.5x57 so have a few rounds to play with. I have just upgraded and got a RCBS Charge master with built in scales and never looked back. No worries having to weigh one in 5 or so, as each one is garenteed to be the same. Just not cheap (Buy off Ebay in America, making sure you get the European version) as they are about £100+ cheaper including inport tax and shipping. Hope this helps, but I have never looked back. Take care and good luck. Popey

I actually like the Lee for the reasons Mat mentioned. What I don't like about them is the tendency to leak powder around the drum when using very fine powders. For coarse powders it's great.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I actually like the Lee for the reasons Mat mentioned. What I don't like about them is the tendency to leak powder around the drum when using very fine powders. For coarse powders it's great.~Muir
    Tell me about it! You want to try using H380 without half of it leaking out around the drum. I ended up tightening the screw on the side which stopped it but also made it so hard to turn the handle that occasionally my fingers would slip off and I'd throw a half filled case across the bench.....

Mick

Personal choice but I don't like the Lee at all. I have a couple of Dillon powder throwers and find them to be very good. I did have a RCBS for a long time but much prefer the Dillon system of powder throwing. Most work on pretty much the same system but I do hear that the Harrell is supposed to be one of the best.

Really though. The "quality" of the powder measure needed depends largely on the cartridge and the powder you're using. If you're loading H-4831 in a 30-06 hunting cartridge then a Lee Dipper would do you fine. Load H335 in a BR rifle and you have a different story. None of my BR measures get used for big game hunting loads. All the deer killed by my family members last year were killed with ammunition loaded with Lee Dippers. Go figure.~Muir

Personally I get good results from the Lee Perfect powder measure. I've found that if you are consistent in how it's used, it does throw very uniform charges. At less than £20 (last time I checked), it's a hard act to follow.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.