Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trespass

Trespass

I own a small piece of woodland near Longtown in Cumbria. A local farmer keeps an eye on it for me and in return I am happy that the local shoot beat through the wood to move any game birds out onto their ground.

A short while ago he spotted a couple of guys shooting at the deer in the wood and confronted them. They said they had permission from owner (which they did not) apologised and moved off.

The question I would ask is, can I take it for granted that anyone unlimbering a centre fire rifle knows he/she is doing so in a legal manner, or not. If so, I should feel no reservations in reporting them to the police and provide details of car and registration ?

I was thinking of putting a sign up, but surely we all know if we are shooting legally.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    I own a small piece of woodland near Longtown in Cumbria. A local farmer keeps an eye on it for me and in return I am happy that the local shoot beat through the wood to move any game birds out onto their ground.

A short while ago he spotted a couple of guys shooting at the deer in the wood and confronted them. They said they had permission from owner (which they did not) apologised and moved off.

The question I would ask is, can I take it for granted that anyone unlimbering a centre fire rifle knows he/she is doing so in a legal manner, or not. If so, I should feel no reservations in reporting them to the police and provide details of car and registration ?

I was thinking of putting a sign up, but surely we all know if we are shooting legally.
    If they have a centrefire rifle legally then they will know they are committing armed trespass and can get a very long stretch at HMP. Ask your farmer to get their vehicle number and immediately report them to the police.
    They are probably local and know its owned by a 'distant' owner.
    If they are not legal then report them twice as fast to the police. No-one walks on to another property with a rifle or any gun, without first asking their permission - unless they arent staying long in the area?

Anyone ticketed for a centrefire rifle should know very well what "armed trespass" means. Your land, so your choice. Personally I'd report it, but I'd also be interested to hear the justification for any opposing views if this thread develops.
    Last edited by Old-YOP; 09-12-2015 at 22:31.

So, the farmer witnesses potential trespassers shooting at deer in a woodland land knowingly potentialy that they didn't have permission......brave man. Surprised he didn't report them to the police hhimself.
    how was it known it was centre fires....

SD Regular
    Report them.

Why? Because if anyone nearby has property damaged by a stray shot or a dog goes missing and is found shot or any other thing then you may get the blame.

If you report them the blame may then fall on those on whom it is due.

They can then have the pleasure of explaining to the police how they came to be there and it may simply be that they had misread the map of the land that they in fact had permission to shoot on.

OTOH they may have made no such mistake.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 10-12-2015 at 01:01.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    So, the farmer witnesses potential trespassers shooting at deer in a woodland land knowingly potentialy that they didn't have permission......brave man. Surprised he didn't report them to the police hhimself.
    how was it known it was centre fires....
    I think if we just accepted the details of the post it would make life easier.

howa could it be someone off the shoot who thinks they have permission

Quote Originally Posted by tom reveley View Post
    howa could it be someone off the shoot who thinks they have permission
    No, because the farmer is part of the shoot and would have know who they were. Actually he does know who they were, but not in the sense of them being acquaintances.

It is possible they believe they have permission, potentially still not a reason to not report them as if they explain their belief to the police (or whoever they are reported to) they should just get words of advice.

The reason I say this is I shot one farm and was shown around the boundary by one of the farm workers (a guy who had been there a number of years) and he accidentally included two fields that didn't belong to that particular farm. So although I had a letter of permission and a map showing the boundary that I honestly believed I was allowed to shoot over I had actually been trespassing on thoses two particular fields. Luckily for me the other farmer was understanding when I saw him and there was no further grief from it.

One part of me says "report them" but another part of me is saying "could it be that there is a possibility that they believed that they had permission"!
    I had a situation a good while ago when I had to "confront" some guys with dogs on one of my deer permissions (Not the cleverest/wisest thing for one man to do where 3 guys with dogs are concerned, but the lady who owns my permission was concerned about them going in to the woods and disturbing the deer). As it turned out they believed that they had permission as a neighbouring land owner (A lady who rented some land next to my permission) had told them that it was perfectly OK for them to go across my permission. Therefore they quite reasonably believed that they had permission!
    Anyone owning a "deer\legal centre fire rifle" and is out after deer should know only too well that armed trespass is a criminal offence with heavy penalties if caught!
    If the farmer has the registration of their vehicle then in the future it might be worth keeping an eye open for then near your "permission" now that they have been spoken to once about it by your farmer friend.