Thread: Federal powershok

Federal powershok

Went to zero my Browning A Bolt this morning with my normal load of factory federal powershok 100gr, loaded up the mag of 4, released the shot, round went down range. Now the problem started, bolt handle lifted, but, wouldn't pull to the rear, several hours later and a good boot on the bolt handle eventually it goes back and the brass case extracts. On eamining the case the percussion cap is sitting proud and the case has several points of scoring along the length of it with the neck slightly burred. Was it just a crap extraction or did the round have too much pressure and caused expansion of the case?

Any ideas as i'm considering ditching the batch?

Cheers

Dom
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

I'll be watching this with interest as my sako 75 loves federal powershok 100gr. She shoots half moa out to 300 yards with them so I'll cry if they start slipping in quality.
    I've noticed my bolt getting a bit tighter if I've fired a few shots in succession, but I've put that down to heat and just stopped and let it cool down.

Hungry,

This was after just one round, my Browning normally loves them, hence why I was asking if it could just be a dodgy batch, the extractor was cleaned after my last outing so all should have been fine there.

Dom
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

I use both .243 and .308 Federal Power-Shok and the round is as consistent and accurate as the best home-loads I have seen, for me a good reason not to bother with home-loading.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    I use both .243 and .308 Federal Power-Shok and the round is as consistent and accurate as the best home-loads I have seen, for me a good reason not to bother with home-loading.

Same here in my A bolt in .308
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

Unelss eveything has changed in the years since I last shot a protruding primer is the sign of low pressure not excessive pressure. Excessive pressure signs are flattened primers with an ironed look often clearly showing the imprint of the machining marks from the breech or bolt face. Really excessive pressure will expand the primer pockets allowing the primer to fall out. Next step is then case head failure! Something you do not want to experience as the risks of damage to and or failure of the gun is then a real possibility.

If you know someone who works in engineering or has it as a hobby. Or perhaps if you know how to read a micrometer your self and have access to or can borrow a micrometer the measure the case at it's largest point near the case head and do the same to another case that had no problems in extraction. If the problem case measures larger then it will indicate that the pressures were higher than maybe they should have been so. Perhaps it is then time to e-mail the manufacturer to inform them of the problem.

To check for burrs in the chamber a soft cloth like the old 4 by 2 cleaning cloth pushed into the chamber and turned in the chamber then removed will show burrs by snagging bits of the fluff from the cloth on the burrs and this will be seen if the chamber is examined with a good light source.

I haven’t had much success with Federal ‘Power-Shok’, which is a re-branding of their blue box bog-standard ‘Classic’ line. I’ve tried it in Tikka’s in .22-250, .243, 6.5x55, and in .308 … off a bipod, so rested under range conditions.

All of these proved to be rather mild loadings with quite wide shot-to-shot variations. For me the usual was 1”– 2” groups at best, but adequate for the job.

It might well be a tack-driver in U.S. rifles or perform differently for better shooters. I think I’d concur with Conure that this might have been a slightly undersized mild round that has floated back & forth in the chamber on firing, if that makes sense.

If the fired case had ended up jammed against the face of the bolt, then the protruding firing-pin might also have got embedded or wedged in the fired primer which might increase the extraction effort.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.