Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Do Sika deserve their reputation for being tough?

  1. #1

    Do Sika deserve their reputation for being tough?

    Following the recent thread on ballistic tips, some posters mentioned the almost mystical properties that people ascribe to Sika. Another said he should probably consult with a shaman on a mountain top before stalking his first

    I've grown up stalking Sika. I started stalking them with .22 centrefires when we weren't allowed anything else. They are my favourite deer species, without a doubt. They are as much a part of my home county as the hills in which they live.

    I've been surprised since joining Stalking Directory that people deem them difficult to stalk or kill. Do people think that they deserve this almost mystical status as super tough? Personally I don't. Yes they are very challenging to stalk, infuriating sometimes and they can run after well placed shots. However I think it is very off putting to new stalkers, who haven't yet stalked Sika, to hear that they are difficult to kill cleanly. They are not.
    Does anybody else have any thoughts on this? Do they deserve this reputation?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen of Imaal View Post
    Following the recent thread on ballistic tips, some posters mentioned the almost mystical properties that people ascribe to Sika. Another said he should probably consult with a shaman on a mountain top before stalking his first

    I've grown up stalking Sika. I started stalking them with .22 centrefires when we weren't allowed anything else. They are my favourite deer species, without a doubt. They are as much a part of my home county as the hills in which they live.

    I've been surprised since joining Stalking Directory that people deem them difficult to stalk or kill. Do people think that they deserve this almost mystical status as super tough? Personally I don't. Yes they are very challenging to stalk, infuriating sometimes and they can run after well placed shots. However I think it is very off putting to new stalkers, who haven't yet stalked Sika, to hear that they are difficult to kill cleanly. They are not.
    Does anybody else have any thoughts on this? Do they deserve this reputation?
    YES!!!! they are robodeer they still run when are dead but just to stubborn to admit they have died!!! very satisfying when you do grass one though

    Another thing to note in my experience of sika - if they have seen or sensed you are there they almost always run unless physically unable - I.e. neck - head shot
    Last edited by redlab; 11-12-2015 at 11:31.

  3. #3
    I have shot some Sika, not a huge amount, but maybe 50 or a few more. They are not hard to kill as much as it can be hard to kill them "dead right there". This combined with heather bogs, commercial forestry and rushy fields mean that they can be hard to find once shot.

    My other basic observation is that a BT type bullet at decent velocity - 120gr 6.5mm at c.2850fps will generally kill them very well with decent chest shots. Less than perfect hits, with slowish bullets that don't open quickly will get you runners, no question in my mind.

    Still think pound for pound, a muntjac is the toughest little brute this side of a cape buffalo......
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

  4. #4
    The first deer I saw shot was a muntjac my father shot. It came out of a wood about a hundred yards away and started feeding broadside on. My father shot it with a 180 gn round nose, from a 7x57. It ran all of 200 yards. When we found it, it had no heart or lung left. Tough little buggers, I have seen some run for it under similar situations, but 200 yards!! It never knew we were there. That was almost thirty years ago, and it is my most precious head.
    Karamoja

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by karamoja View Post
    The first deer I saw shot was a muntjac my father shot. It came out of a wood about a hundred yards away and started feeding broadside on. My father shot it with a 180 gn round nose, from a 7x57. It ran all of 200 yards. When we found it, it had no heart or lung left. Tough little buggers, I have seen some run for it under similar situations, but 200 yards!! It never knew we were there. That was almost thirty years ago, and it is my most precious head.
    Karamoja
    Munties are pretty tough ! I think if Munties were the size of sika they' d be very hard to knock down on the spot .yet to stalk a sika but as its the last species ive left to stalk I'm looking forward to it .
    norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 10-12-2015 at 17:26.

  6. #6
    Good shot placement as with any quarry is the key get it wrong and we all know the answer to that one been there wore that tee, I have had a few run about 100 yards or so with a well placed heart lung shot before going down and if they present very close to thick cover I try and neck shoot if it presents itself and I am not to far away, failing that a shoulder shot usually does the trick and they do not go far however, we never really know how they or any species will react to any given shot we will do our upmost to dispatch them as cleanly as we can and that is what happens on most occasions but there is always the deer which especially when alarmed and aware of our presence that may run something extra I usually leave an alarmed animal alone and find they do not bleed as well and this affects the meat accordingly just my tuppence worth good luck and safe huntin......




    Damian


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    I usually leave an alarmed animal alone and find they do not bleed as well and this affects the meat accordingly
    Cheers Damian, a very interesting and most useful observation. I shall do my best to remember that.

  8. #8
    It's all a myth, put the bullet in right place and they are no different to any other deer. The majority will drop, some will run. They are certainly a challenge to work with though.

  9. #9
    Some great viewpoints expressed guys. Keep them coming...

  10. #10
    Hi All,

    An interesting topic. Yes Sika are tough but then again wild animals tend to be. In my experience Sika have incredible eyesight and agility this of sorts adds to the mystic. However in regards to been bullet proof am... No, tough yes.

    A common mistake by some hunters new to Sika stalking is not matching there calibre to bullet type suitable for Sika.

    I use 120 grain Norma ballistic tips. There fast, hard hitting and have impressive penetration. A 156 grain soft noise isn't designed for Sika and in my visual experience using this bullet type is when one see " runners".

    Regards,
    Glendine.

Similar Threads

  1. how good is blues reputation
    By dirtdigger in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-04-2014, 16:26
  2. HS 2nd & 3rd Tracks/Norwegian Guests/How Tough Are Sika?
    By jamross65 in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 09:50
  3. Go on....you deserve it!
    By Moonraker68 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 12:43
  4. do i deserve this
    By atom in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 21-11-2011, 22:30
  5. What makes Sika so tough
    By nell in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 16:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •