Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC AW Application & Referees

DSC AW Application & Referees

I'm looking into applying for Approved Witness status with the DMQ, however, I understand you require two referees, each of which needs to describe what they know about my "deer related experience", and both of whom must be AW's themselves.

I have plenty of friends who know of my experience and would provide me a reference, but none hold their Level 2. I did my Level 2 on paid stalks, so don't really know the AW's who took me out (and they don't really know my experience beyond the single stalk).

Any thoughts? How did the AW's out there get references or were you lucky and stalked with AW's before applying?

Many thanks in advance!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I would suggest giving DMQ a call to discuss.

You can find the full list of criteria here, though note it just says "2 referees", not that they have to be AW's themselves: DMQ - Credible Witnesses for DSC2
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

The application form states:
    1. Referees must already be an Assessor or listed witnessoperating within the DMQ system.

http://www.dmq.org.uk/downloads/Appr...ion%20Pack.pdf

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Ah, I hadn't looked on the application form itself.

Personally I would still give them a call....
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 11-12-2015 at 22:41.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Yes you do need two AW's or above to act as referees. You are also missing another important point. You are not actually applying to DMQ to be an AW. You need to first find an assessment centre that is willing to take you on as a AW. The list of accredited assessment centres is on page 2 of your link above. You really need to do this first. It may even be that they could help you by getting you out with a couple of their AW's that could check you out and then act as referees for you? You also need to attend an AW brief. Only once accepted by the centre will your details then be added to the AW list.
    It is a fairly big step up from DSC 2 and a difficult one if you do not have suitable contacts. Could I ask your reasoning for wanting to become an AW out of interest?
    MS

Surely the market is saturated for AW'S by now? I remember looking at the list when I took my DSC2 and thinking that there can't be enough demand for the ones there already is and that was a few years ago. I think if I knew someone who wanted level 2 I would point them in Monkey Spankers or anyone of the plethora of other AW'S in this particular area before bothering trying to become one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Surely the market is saturated for AW'S by now? I remember looking at the list when I took my DSC2 and thinking that there can't be enough demand for the ones there already is and that was a few years ago. I think if I knew someone who wanted level 2 I would point them in Monkey Spankers or anyone of the plethora of other AW'S in this particular area before bothering trying to become one myself.
    The list is indeed large, but a vast amount of them are not very active! The list was thinned out a few years ago, but still remains large. It is also true that a lot of AW's do not have their own ground to take candidates out on. Being an AW is very time consuming and is more of a 'labour of love' than an occupation. You will certainly not make a living at it!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    The list is indeed large, but a vast amount of them are not very active! The list was thinned out a few years ago, but still remains large. It is also true that a lot of AW's do not have their own ground to take candidates out on. Being an AW is very time consuming and is more of a 'labour of love' than an occupation. You will certainly not make a living at it!
    MS
    I must say that I agree with everything that you have said. Candidates with their own ground may be reluctant to have a AW there, owing to the misbehaviour of a minority who have tried to take their ground. This is a pity because having an AW visit is a very convenient and cost effective way of doing the witnessed stalks.
    It does indeed consume a lot of time but I have found it both enjoyable and rewarding to be part of another's success.

A few months ago I was contacted by one of our SD members. I travelled south for a few miles and met up with our member and the estate deer manager.
    Our member completed two successful stalks in the day and it was a great pleasure to meet him and the deer manager. An enjoyable day for all concerned.

I am retired and very fortunate in the amount of stalking that I have so no 'risk' to anyone. To the OP, I would say 'If you don't try, you will never know'. Best wishes.

Yes it is a labour of love. Also the most experienced stalker may not make the best AW. You have to follow the requirements for assessment conditions and be able to draw out the required evidence through questioning of the candidate. This takes time and effort especially if done properly and fairly.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Thanks all - particularly MS.

My reasoning... To be brutally honest, I found the DSC2 process frustrating and costly and I want to give something back and hopefully make it a bit easier for others in future. I've no expectation to make any money out of it - not the motivation for me. I'm also involved in our grad / apprentice mentor scheme at work, so hopefully that background will help me help others.