Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which scope

Thumbs up which scope

Evening gents,

Need some advice on a scope for my first rifle. Budget,as always, is my biggest concern and am looking to spend around 500-600. Have been looking at the Nikon Monarch 7 2.5-10 x50 SF at 600. Anyone know what Nikon scopes are like? Would I be better buying a new 'low end' Swarovski or maybe even a second hand scope?

Any advice or ideas on scopes would be very much appreciated as I have no experience on this.

Cheers

Joe

Second hand S&B 6x42 or 8x56 200-350 job done

if you can afford a Swarovski get that over any other

The Monarch 7 is the latest generation and a very good scope.
    Unless you are going to be shooting a short ranges and very long range over 12x, you won't get any value out of parallax tuning, nice as it may be. Side focus costs a significant amount more than parallax focus on the occular lense, on any brand.

Since you are starting out, try to shoot through some other people's scopes at the range. Yes, a top end Zeiss or Swaro will be impressive, like a Mercedes S class, but do you need that for yourself?

I would recommend starting with a lower end Monarch or even the Prostaff, in a 3-9x40 or 4-12x... not much money, let's you learn what you like and don't like, what you really need. And if you buy a good scope, maybe secondhand, like Leupold M8 6x42 or VX2, Meopta 7x50 or Nikon Prostaff, you can sell it for what you paid. The Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 or Vortex Diamondback are lots of scope for the money.

How about a vortex viper 6-24 PST great scope and on budget

More important is what will you be using the scope for? What rifle, what range, targets/varmints/deer? Is low light important? Illuminated reticle? All these will have a huge impact on what sort of scope to go for. A second hand scope from a decent brand with good after sales care will be just as safe/reliable if not more so than a lesser scope that is brand new.

im a firm beliver with stalking scopes that if you can afford it and with your budget get a scope from one of the big three ziess schmidt and swaro yes others may look nice and shinney and may have some nice gadgets on them but its quality glass your after not gadgets

Hi ,think you would be better getting a good second hand scope, one of the big three as already advised, I have been looking for another rifle and that's the way I will be going ,even try ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    Second hand S&B 6x42 or 8x56 200-350 job done

if you can afford a Swarovski get that over any other

+1

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    More important is what will you be using the scope for? What rifle, what range, targets/varmints/deer? Is low light important? Illuminated reticle? All these will have a huge impact on what sort of scope to go for.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    A second hand scope from a decent brand with good after sales care will be just as safe/reliable if not more so than a lesser scope that is brand new.
    +1