Things are looking better for Varget shooters.

Muir

I finally figured out how to post this photo taken at a farm and ranch supply store. That's 16 pounds of Varget on the middle shelf -at the end of a long, long aisle of bullets and powder.

For those of you who have accused American shooters of denying you powder because of their 'panic buyng', note the sign: This rationing has been in play for at least three years now. One store has recently lifted the ration rule which is yet another sign that things are picking up.~Muir

varget_zpsnntl5mc3.jpg%7Eoriginal

With the prices here for powder where is the armed guard?

When I checked prices to get back into reloading I nearly passed out at prices quoted! Now it has been some years since I bought any powder but it was a real shock the prices are so high now. Nearly £40 a tub! Not used varget but used to use H380 and Reloader 15. That varget alone would cost over £600 to buy here at current prices.

switched from varget to viht in a few calibres and no hassle in supplies rifles shoot better if im honest with the viht loads more so in my 6br bench gun.

Was in he states a couple of weeks ago and the places I visited all had a 3 box limit on rimfire and centre fire ammo. I was suprised to see that they were still rationing.

There is almost no 22WMR ammo and the little bits of (mostly European) .22 we get are exorbitantly priced. I would be in dire straits if I didn't have a lot of 22LR on hand through these times.~Muir

I also thought 22lr supply was low in comparison, our little shops have more to offer.
edi

I also thought 22lr supply was low in comparison, our little shops have more to offer.
edi
It is. I have yet to figure out what is driving the manufacturers to not produce 22LR ammo. They make train-loads of 17HMR but no 22LR and 22WMR. When you find it, a 50 round box of 22LR is around $8 for the cheap stuff. 22WMR is over $20 a box. These prices are well over double what they were. CCI's line is that they are making as much, or more, LR than they every have but that is pure :fib:. Nobody has seen any quantity of 22LR in four years; not at the retail level, nor the distributor's level.~Muir

The new IMR 4166 is supposed to be a cleaner burning, temperature-insensitive replacement for Varget and RL-15 ( like Hodgdon CFE 223). I saw some 4166 on the shelf at Cabela's but have not yet tried it. When I saw what may be the last jug of 4064, I grabbed that.

Hornady has been running sales on bullets, about 30% off, to get customers back. I bought some Remington .223 55-gr FMJ for $11.00/100 and Winchester .223 64-gr bonded SP for $17.00/100. Glad to see some Core Lokt bullets back in stock.

Last edited:
sorry Muir, found another two pictures on my phone from that shop. We would not have anything like it here in Ireland.
My brother in law couldn't understand why I wanted to spend a hour looking at things....

22lr, we seem to have a good supply of sub sonic cci, winnie subs and remmy subs available at the moment.

DSC_0905_zpsyeeubmna.jpg

DSC_0906_zpsgdgd7gaa.jpg

edi

The manufacturers learned a simple lesson, they can charge more for making less. Do not expect prices to return to pre hoarding days.

only an hour you must have been skimming over it
sorry Muir, found another two pictures on my phone from that shop. We would not have anything like it here in Ireland.
My brother in law couldn't understand why I wanted to spend a hour looking at things....

22lr, we seem to have a good supply of sub sonic cci, winnie subs and remmy subs available at the moment.

DSC_0905_zpsyeeubmna.jpg

DSC_0906_zpsgdgd7gaa.jpg

edi

The manufacturers learned a simple lesson, they can charge more for making less. Do not expect prices to return to pre hoarding days.
Who hoarded what? They just stopped making rimfire.
You're right though: I don't expect the prices to drop at all.~Muir

DSC_0905_zpsyeeubmna.jpg

DSC_0906_zpsgdgd7gaa.jpg

edi

Edi. That is about what you get in the shootin' regions of the US. The Trading post in my town is about 1/4 the size of that store you depict but, in community of only 2800 people. I took JAYB on a tour of the shops. Sensory overload gave him headaches.~Muir

The new IMR 4166 is supposed to be a cleaner burning, temperature-insensitive replacement for Varget and RL-15 ( like Hodgdon CFE 223). I saw some 4166 on the shelf at Cabela's but have not yet tried it. When I saw what may be the last jug of 4064, I grabbed that.

Hornady has been running sales on bullets, about 30% off, to get customers back. I bought some Remington .223 55-gr FMJ for $11.00/100 and Winchester .223 64-gr bonded SP for $17.00/100. Glad to see some Core Lokt bullets back in stock.
You know that the initial info about 4064 being dropped has been denied by the company, right? I have two pounds of 4166 but haven't used it. 4064 develops more speed at less pressure so I've stuck with it.~Muir

Who hoarded what? They just stopped making rimfire.
You're right though: I don't expect the prices to drop at all.~Muir

Oh c'mon You must be in denial or just following the industry party line spreading propaganda for the manufactures.
You never saw the rimfire ammo which had been hoarded for sale on gunbroker etc for $200+ plus a brick? Or that didn't happen?
Why would they just stop making rimfire ammo unless it was to affect the final price?
How about hornady's cynical bullet production? Tell me it did not instigate empty space on the shelves of bullets. Or that didn't happen?
Or how about the nosler gougers now offering 25rd count boxes of bullets? If that is not charging more for less I really don't know what the **** is.

It was a simple lesson - make less and charge more.
It is plain to see in the current prices and availability (eg $9 for a box of rimfire) - no conspiracy theory needed just plain greed.

Are you saying that a contrary view is not allowed?
Well I have an answer for that and it contains some blunt Anglo-Saxonisms.

Back