Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Boar in May?

Wild Boar in May?

I wasn't sure what section to put this in so if the moderators feel it would be better in a different section please accept my apologies for posting in the wrong section and feel free to move it into the most appropriate section.

We were watching Country File this evening and I was paying particular attention to the part about the wild boar in the Forest Of Dean. The wife noticed that I was very interested and asked if my FAC allowed me to shoot Wild Boar and if my .270 rifle was suitable. I explained that as I have AOLQ and an Open Certificate for my .270 I am legally entitled to shoot Wild Boar (In the UK) if the situation and possibility ever arose. I also (Very hastily) added that YES I would very much like to try for a Wild Boar at some time or other in my life. With that she suggested that I should look into what it might cost for a go for them in May 2016 as my 65th Birthday present.
    This got me thinking!
    Can anyone tell me first of all: Is it practical or possible to shoot Wild Boar (In the UK) in May please?
    If it is then what area should I be looking at that would give me the best chance of seeing and (hopefully) getting to shoot a Wild Boar. Also what might it cost for a days Wild Boar Stalking with an experienced guide? (I wouldn't really need or want to take a carcass home, the memory and a few photos would be more than enough for me)

I have to add that I have no experience and very little knowledge of Wild Boar Shooting, (Except for what I have read on here and watched on Youtube) and that if this came about it would be have to be combined with a short holiday/long week-end for the two of us somewhere in the UK!

All advice and thoughts would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 15-12-2015 at 09:00.

Although there is no protection offered to wild boar in the UK with regard to close seasons, it may be advisable to research the natural history and in particular the breeding cycle of wild boar before planning, (or accepting), the offer of shooting them. http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/in...m?profile.html

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Although there is no protection offered to wild boar in the UK with regard to close seasons, it may be advisable to research the natural history and in particular the breeding cycle of wild boar before planning, (or accepting), the offer of shooting them. http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/in...m?profile.html
    Yes, I realise that, and that is why I asked on here for advice from those who are much more in the know that I am.
    I don't mind admitting (As I already have done in my original post) that I know very little about Wild Boar.

I will still be looking to shoot a few around that time of year , once you get to know what your looking for its fairly easy to size up what sex boar you have in front of you , usually a few small groups of year old males moving about on their own then
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Solwaystalker View Post
    I will still be looking to shoot a few around that time of year , once you get to know what your looking for its fairly easy to size up what sex boar you have in front of you , usually a few small groups of year old males moving about on their own then
    That's more like the reply I was hoping for, many thanks!

What is an OALQ?
    BTW use 150 or 160 grainers if you can get them.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    What is an OALQ? Martin
    Martin, It is an abbreviation of,
    A = Any
    O - Other
    L = Legal
    Q = Quarry
    It saves the listing of things you require and have authority to shoot.
    It also puts the onus of legality on the gun owner to ensure that he uses the correct calibre to despatch animals humanely and within any legislation laid down for the despatch of that particular species.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Martin, It is an abbreviation of,
    A = Any
    O - Other
    L = Legal
    Q = Quarry
    It saves the listing of things you require and have authority to shoot.
    It also puts the onus of legality on the gun owner to ensure that he uses the correct calibre to despatch animals humanely and within any legislation laid down for the despatch of that particular species.
    With my pedant's hat on.....

L = Lawful

See https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...v_2015_v16.pdf, page 104, section 13.9
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I used to hunt them, in Germany, and I do mean "hunt", not "Stalk" and hope to get a chance to do so here in Scotland.

Stalking Wild Boar has never been all that successful, as they have extreme good hearing and smell. Getting within a safe shooting distance is extremely rare.

All my experience was from a Highseat (closed in), or a drive hunt.

In the Spring, the females have little ones so your best bet would be to shoot the smaller ones; less chance of leaving "orphans" in the wild. Also, if you decide to shoot a bigger one, pay close attention to see if they are suckling; again no "orphans".

One last piece of advice, don't let your nerves get the best of you I get so excited, every time I shoot one, I can't stop shaking for 30 minutes after I shoot.

Best of luck and, above all, enjoy. You will NEVER forget your first WildBoar.

atb
    Grant

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    With my pedant's hat on..... L = Lawful _
    Yes teacher, how many lines do I get for that mistake
    The funny thing was tho, that I was just talking to my firearms department chasing up my renewal and the same term as I used was used by them