Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 Round Choice for Roe

308 Round Choice for Roe

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 308 with a standard factory barrel which at present shoots Sako Super Hammerhead 150g to a 1inch MOA mainly at Roe. I'm reasonably happy with that but would like to tighten the group up and and have been looking at the following;

1, Winchester Ballistic Silver tip 150g

2, Winchester Powermax Bonded Rapid expansion 150g

I would appreciate any thoughts on those two and in particular meat damage that is likely.

Much Appreciated
    bryn

Hi Bryn, I shoot mostly Roe, but also Fallow every few weeks, and I too use a standard Tikka in .308 . My round of choice after testing several different makes and weights has been 150g but I found I get the most consistent accuracy from Federal Power Shok. There is minimal meat damage ( but I usually go for a neck shot whenever the range and body position is appropriate). Of course there is an advantage in that I can use the cases for home loads as Federal have a reputation for reasonably heavy metal. Sorry I can't comment on your choice of Winchesters. I know fellow stalkers who use different rounds after similar testing to myself and they find that supposedly identical rifles will shoot 'best' with totally different rounds. Good luck with your own testing. Cheers Jerry

Good evening Bryn. I cannot claim experience with any of the aforementioned ammunition. However, I have used a .308 for roe for 37 years. My first .308 was a Parker Hale, and latterly, a Sako 85. I have only ever used 150g rounds from either Norma (soft nosed and ballistic tips) and recently Federal soft-nose (only because I was unable to locate any of the former). I have found both these 'types' more than satisfactory, yes, occasionally, you would experience some carcass/meat damage (I only ever take heart/lung shots) however I never found this unacceptable. My primary concern is a down and dead deer. Most of the 'better' meat on a roe is on the rump and saddle, so any damage to shoulder meat is trimmed and used for stews, sausages etc.
    As regards your MOA, I would not become too hung-up about that.When checking my 'zero', provided I was putting the round in the 'kill-zone' I was confident and comfortable with this state of affairs. Replicating 'real hunting conditions' is impossible on the range. Personally I'd be happy with the fact I was killing the deer I shot at. Under normal hunting conditions your 1 inch MOA is more than adequate to 'kill your deer'! Of course, if you are intending doing comps, target-shooting or much range work, then I fully appreciate you requiring greater accuracy.
    This is only my personal 'take' on things. I hope this helps, guides or gives some insight that may be useful.

Camodog.

Bryn.

Give Hornady SST 150gr a go.. Very accurate in my rifle. A lot less damage than the Sako 123gr I tried..

cjs

I use sako 123gr through my t3 varmint and it shots less than half inch and use them on fox and deer with no issues.

Regards Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by camodog View Post
    Good evening Bryn. I cannot claim experience with any of the aforementioned ammunition. However, I have used a .308 for roe for 37 years. My first .308 was a Parker Hale, and latterly, a Sako 85. I have only ever used 150g rounds from either Norma (soft nosed and ballistic tips) and recently Federal soft-nose (only because I was unable to locate any of the former). I have found both these 'types' more than satisfactory, yes, occasionally, you would experience some carcass/meat damage (I only ever take heart/lung shots) however I never found this unacceptable. My primary concern is a down and dead deer. Most of the 'better' meat on a roe is on the rump and saddle, so any damage to shoulder meat is trimmed and used for stews, sausages etc.
    As regards your MOA, I would not become too hung-up about that.When checking my 'zero', provided I was putting the round in the 'kill-zone' I was confident and comfortable with this state of affairs. Replicating 'real hunting conditions' is impossible on the range. Personally I'd be happy with the fact I was killing the deer I shot at. Under normal hunting conditions your 1 inch MOA is more than adequate to 'kill your deer'! Of course, if you are intending doing comps, target-shooting or much range work, then I fully appreciate you requiring greater accuracy.
    This is only my personal 'take' on things. I hope this helps, guides or gives some insight that may be useful.

Camodog.
    sound advice

jesus
    do you boys like sausages?
    BT's, SST and 123gr in .308?!?

there are roe deer, not zombies
    they go down with a 60gr soft point from my .222
    you may be over thinking this

any decent quality soft point circa 150gr (good match of MV, TE and BC for the .308)

choose the most accurate and shoot them above the elbow.
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    Bryn.

Give Hornady SST 150gr a go.. Very accurate in my rifle. A lot less damage than the Sako 123gr I tried..

cjs
    My thoughts exactly. I found the 123 grn caused too much peripheral haemorrhaging and bruising. SST's are extremely accurate in my m595 and though they're pretty punchy meat damage is on a par with slower 150 grn Hornady Interbonds home loads. Good rounds.

I have the same rifle as you, and found the Sako 123g nearly halved my group size vs 150g Federal. To comfortably within 1MOA.
    I had not shot enough roe with the Federal to be able to tell if the meat damage was appreciably different between the two rounds, but I have been shooting at the request of the landowner to reduce deer damage; any meat that we get is a bonus.