Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rat problem. Help asked for in East Lancs.

Rat problem. Help asked for in East Lancs.

We have just found out that one of the landowners that I shoot for has a bit of a rat problem developing. We have noticed well used rat runs coming from under the back of her poultry house. We can not use the usual rat cage traps (The ones with spring operated doors) as her cat gets itself caught in them (I found that out when we had a mink up there which I ended up shooting) and because the poultry has access to the area poison bait is not much of a practical solution.
    I was thinking about the older type of "funnel trap" - The type where the rats could get in through the funnel but could not get back out and the size of the funnel would not let her cat get caught in it.
    As both myself and the landowner are against the use of poisons (Unless there is really no other alternative) are there any other suggestions that might help to minimise/clear the rats, or does anyone in the East Lancs Area have a few of the funnel type traps that I could borrow for a little while.

Don't know if this helps but can't you fit restecter bars to the front of you cage traps to work in the same manner as with tunnel traps so keeping puss out but letting the rats in

How big is the poultry house could it be lifted up higher and use terriers to kill the rats also if you raise it about 18inchs off the ground it will be less appealing to rats next winter

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Horn View Post
    Don't know if this helps but can't you fit restecter bars to the front of you cage traps to work in the same manner as with tunnel traps so keeping puss out but letting the rats in

Yes. I'm currently using mink traps fitted with otter guards (which reduce the entrance size) for rat trapping in order not to keep catching the farmyard cats.

I wasn't aware that you could do that with the mink cage traps. Many thanks for educating me guys!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    What's wrong with using Warfarin bait?
    Also Alphachloralose used correctly can be devastating at this time of year
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    What's wrong with using Warfarin bait?
    Also Alphachloralose used correctly can be devastating at this time of year

He says he's rather not use poisons, if it can be avoided. I can understand that, having lost a much loved pet when I was a child as a result of rat poison.
    Trapping can be pretty effective provided you maintain a goodly number of traps around the place, bait with something irresistible, and also periodically spring and re-set any traps that aren't catching.

When I was a boy, I would get rid of the extra mice that the cats were not catching in the barn by setting up a barrel with a false bottom sitting on legs, about 9 inches from the top. For big rats, you will have to set it about 18 inches. Here is why:
    Tape around this bottom so it is sealed.
    For the mice, put in small grain like millet or oats, about 2 inches deep
    For rats, put in larger grain, like oats and corn, about 3 inches deep.
    Now put a gangplank from where they come into the hen house, up to the barrel.
    Add a level platform at the rim.
    Line it with a trail of grain.

Rats come in, crawl up the gangplank, see all that grain, and jump in.
    Their buddies come, and it looks like a picnic, so they join in.
    When they try to jump out, they can get no traction.

Then I would show up with a mean barn cat for the mice or a Jack Russell for the rats.

But I always preferred to stalk and shoot the rats myself, with a revolver, and still do.
    Besides, we had enough copperheads and rattlesnakes that rats seldom made it far. I only got the leftovers.

Not wanting to use rodenticide, the quickest way to gain control and reduce numbers would be to encourage the rodents to feed a specific area close to the coop by using the chicken pellet/ wheat based food, take up the chicken food in the coop each night and place some food like a 2 metre long line X. This will encourage all orders of the rats to come out to feed on the cross(es )

Sit up with an air rifle and NV you'll have some cracking sport and wipe out the rats as well

Good luck

Atb

Phil

We have had success by following their runs and finding their burrows, then soaking bits of rag in creosote and poking them down the burrows - made them clear off somewhere else.