Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's the One I'm After

Here's the One I'm After

Here's pics of a buck I'm after from this past summer. Got this on my trail camera but he has all but disappeared. He likely got mature like this by avoiding moving around during the daytime. I've only got 3 weeks left in the season to get a crack at him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450272699.130023.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	64501

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450272728.042030.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	259.5 KB 
ID:	64502

Looks a real nice buck. I found with my trail cams I saw a lot of deer I'd love to shoot but never saw them in the flesh. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Looks a real nice buck. I found with my trail cams I saw a lot of deer I'd love to shoot but never saw them in the flesh. Very frustrating.
    Yeah that's typically how it works out in my area. The bucks gather in bachelor groups during the summer months and I get lots of pictures. Once they shed their velvet in the fall they completely change their patterns and the big boys go nocturnal.

The hope is the big bucks will appear during the rut but I never saw this guy in November. Once December rolls around the rut is mostly over and the big bucks stay nocturnal. This guy might live to see another year.

How do you know he hasn't been shot by another hunter?
    Is it on public or private?
    Looks like a cracking buck, hope you catch up with him.
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    How do you know he hasn't been shot by another hunter?
    Is it on public or private?
    Looks like a cracking buck, hope you catch up with him.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Private land and no idea if he has been shot by another hunter but in the small community where I hunt word would have got out about this buck. When a big buck is killed in that town people will stop what they are doing, hop in the car and go see it! Deer hunting is an integral part of the community.

Hi

Fingers crossed he makes a mistake for you.......

L

Nice Buck. Good luck with the pursuit.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Mule Deer?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

At least you know he is there, like a big fish you see in a lake. Good luck on that one. Go when conditions are perfectly in your favor and he may feel so secure and unspooked as that you bag him.

On the way to work Tuesday, I stopped by a 280-acre patch of land I lease from a timber company and eased in right before sunrise. As I was getting to a spot to just stand and scan, I looked across the fence into a neighboring piece of timberland, cut over and replanted about 2008. There, about 500 yards away, stood up a buck to catch the sun on his back and stretch, with a rack so large I could just about count tines with the naked eye. I prayed he would come my way and jump the fence into my shooting lane, but after studying everything around him for 360 degrees, he sauntered up the hill another way.

Not a total loss, as it sure beat watching tail lights... a great tease and way to start the day.