Thread: Sako 85 Carbonlight which calibre for Deer up to large Reds?

Sako 85 Carbonlight which calibre for Deer up to large Reds?

Hi Guys,
    First question on this site from myself.
    Any advice on the following greatly appreciated.

I am looking to add the Sako 85 Carbonlight to my collection but cant decide on what calibre to choose out of these two. I intend shooting all Deer in UK up to large Reds, so any input welcomed.

7mm-08 Rem
    260 Rem

Regards

Dave

No personal experience with either, however, despite liking 6.5mm's I'd go 7mm-08.

Great ballistics, better energy, better choice in factory ammo if needed, less recoil than a 308 without sacrificing much (if any) attributes.

Just allround better UK game cartridge in my opinion.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by David Trevor View Post
    Hi Guys,
    First question on this site from myself.
    Any advice on the following greatly appreciated.

I am looking to add the Sako 85 Carbonlight to my collection but cant decide on what calibre to choose out of these two. I intend shooting all Deer in UK up to large Reds, so any input welcomed.

7mm-08 Rem
    260 Rem

Regards

Dave
    Dave. If you reload, I would pick 260 Rem, if you don't reload, I would pick .308 Win. Regards JCS

My take, Red/Sika/Fallow up to 300m the 308 beats the other two. 7-08 would be a sensible compromise.

edi

260 Rem for me.

Since the rifle will be light and the fact that I have had 2 of them in the past I would personally go for the 260. The only thing to watch out for is the magazine length does not restrict how far you can seat the bullets because the 6.5 tend to be long. Another reason going for the 6.5 is the new hornady bullet with a BC of I think with out checking is .625 As someone all ready mentioned if you reload or not should be taken in to consideration

If you reload, toss a coin. They both shoot 140 gun bullets very well.

If you don't reload have a look in your local gun emporiums and see which is the most popular calibre of ammo available, indeed a call to GMK might be in order to see what they import. A quick scan of the European ammo manufacturers show just Sako doing both, Norma does just the 7-08.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 17-12-2015 at 10:15.

Thanks guys for all your input, much appreciated.
    I have Remington LTR in both .223 and .308 so I was looking for something different that would go up to Red. Despite the LTRs being fluted 20inch barrels the weight starts to nag on the old arms after a while. Hence I was looking at going for the Carbonlight which is only 2.4kg minus scope, but in a diff calibre than the ones I possess. My choice was between the 7mm-08 Rem and the 260 Rem. I'll mull over your valued information and make a decision in the New Year. All the best for Christmas guys.

Having never hunted your UK deer, and not knowing ammunition availability, my two cents is that both the .260 Rem and 7mm-08 are best as reloading propositions, because there are so many great 6.5mm and 7mm bullets which are hard to find or impossible to find in retail ammunition. For examples, the 120-gr Nosler BT in the 7mm-08, the 154-gr Hornady Interlock in the 7mm-08, and the 150-gr Sierra or Nosler Accubond in the 7mm-08.

Southern it depends on how you hunt. Some are Sunday hunters, shoot the odd deer when placed perfectly in front of them and not too far from the car. Good conditions and no pressure in really needing to take the shot will mean very low risk. Ideal for a smaller cal. I know a few that only use a 223 for any deer. Others, desperate for a deer and might need to take a longer or quicker shot. Then there are those that need to get numbers of deer down dramatically, often very experienced maybe professional at culling deer and don't have time for lengthy follow ups. I have a very experienced customer from the last category who was gutted with the performance of his new 260 rem and had the barrel replaced with a 308 after half a year.
    If we need to clear a plantation of deer and one needs to shoot quick I prefer the 308. For a little stroll around a farm on a Sunday or a out of season check around the farms I'd take a light 243, if it were legal on deer even a 223.
    I wouldn't be too concerned over the weight of the Carbonlight, many of our customers and we our selves have noticed the recoil dampening behaviour of a carbon stock even if only half the weight of another stock. If a Finnlight would be tolerable in a certain calibre then the Carbonlight should be just as good recoil wise.
    edi