Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Swift - working for whom?

John Swift - working for whom?

As above, there is a video of the parliamentary committee proceedings (looking into Lead Shot) which the much discredited Mr swift attended - who is paying for his continued working/attendance I wondered ?
    BASC said a long time ago he is no longer employed (even as a consultant one presumes), DEFRA are unlikely to pick up his costs, I doubt the public purse will stretch. Is he funding his own crusade?
    BASC used to pay the secretariat costs but now presumably wouldn't even though when Swiftie left it was their only 'apparent' involvement. All this is confusing especially when Mr Graffius who I think is still with BASC is willing to sit with him in public. Anyone any answers, or do I have to FOI ?
    Given the immediate past history, I'd like to think hes paying his own expenses from his severance package, casting even more doubt on his unbiased position, but I would doubt he is.

Kes

I little Googleing and I find that he is the Tresurer General of FACE (The Federation of Associations for Hunting and Conservation of the EU), the organisation that represents 7 million hunters. Previously he was one of their vice presidents.

FACE funding comes from members, basically the shooting/hunting associations of EU member states. The UK members being the BASC and the CA.

Would I therefore be correct in thinking that BASC and CA members, you and I, are funding him ?

The lead ammunition group was set up by Defra and the FSA, so they must be picking up the cost.
    I assume he will be paid a fee for a set number of days.

I've looked on Jonathan Swift as being something of a fifth columnist ever since he praised Alun Michael and his Hunting Act, it came as no surprise to me that he is apparently leading the campaign to ban lead ammunition and in my opinion this man is a liability to both shooting and country sports in general.

atb Tim

I see the links to FACE and DEFRA - I would doubt the FSA (who are a bit at 'arms length' and truly independent, acting only on verifiable science). I wonder if FACE is bound by the european equivalent of FOI ? We all know DEFRA is. Someone like MR Swift deserves exposure and whoever is funding him is worse, simply because FACE must be pro-lead - BASC is a member. DEFRA on the other hand are managing a process but why stick with a discredited Chairman. Who would have an interest in supporting him in staying where he is - apart from himself ?
    Surely not the WWT or RSPB? I shall try and bottom this one.

Is this John Swift the Jonathan Swift that used to be all over the WAGBI/BASC magazines ?
    If it is I don't remember anybody ever calling him John, I doubt if even his wife ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Is this John Swift the Jonathan Swift that used to be all over the WAGBI/BASC magazines ?
    If it is I don't remember anybody ever calling him John, I doubt if even his wife ever did.
    Jonathan swift was an Anglo - Irish satirist so some vague link to John Swift. May I ask your point ?
    Googling both gives the vernacular whether or not that is what his wife knows him as. My own view is unprintable.

It seems he is about as useful to us as Mike Yardley is then.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    It seems he is about as useful to us as Mike Yardley is then.
    It would appear so

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I've looked on Jonathan Swift as being something of a fifth columnist ever since he praised Alun Michael and his Hunting Act, it came as no surprise to me that he is apparently leading the campaign to ban lead ammunition and in my opinion this man is a liability to both shooting and country sports in general.

atb Tim
    Fifth Columnist! You took the words out of my mouth. Dr John was just as bad.