Thread: Proving prior experience.

Proving prior experience.

Hi all,

going to apply for my first fac when I get my act together.
    I'm keen to provide some evidence of prior shooting experience with my application. I am, however, concerned about dropping my would be referees in it. As you can't legally let someone else shoot your rifle on land unless you're the "occupier" of that land. All of those I've been out with have permission to shoot on the land but aren't the "occupiers". I'm concerned about highlighting licence condition 'breaches' to the feo.

How owe do you suggest I provide evidence of my prior experience? Obviously in the real world this happens, I'm just worried about getting people into trouble!

Hope this makes vague sense...

You shouldn't have to prove prior experience, just good reason. Good reason can be based on what you're planning to do in the future rather than what you've already done.
    Prior experience will help your application , but is not essential.

However, without any prior experience you might be landed with a mentoring condition.

Incidentally, there's no reason to suppose that your friends were breaking any rules by taking you out, unless the terms of their permission expressly forbid them to take guests.
    Last edited by VSS; 16-12-2015 at 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    You shouldn't have to prove prior experience, just good reason. Good reason can be based on what you're planning to do in the future rather than what you've already done.

However, without any prior experience you might be landed with a mentoring condition.

Thanks, much as though I can understand the urge to impose mentoring conditions I'm trying to avoid the hassle of having one!

Just worried about getting into trouble over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttoshoot View Post
    Thanks, much as though I can understand the urge to impose mentoring conditions I'm trying to avoid the hassle of having one!

Just worried about getting into trouble over it.
    See addition to my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    It goes a very long way nowadays - check out the current Home Office Guidance where prior experience is specifically mentioned.

No applicant should now be saddled with a mentoring condition - if it appears on an FAC it should be challenged. All Chief Constables and Firearms Licensing Departments have been explicitly instructed not to use it. Hence the requirement for experience with firearms being accepted.

I find writing a 'Shooting CV' limited to 1 page A4, is a helpful tool, either in your dealings with Licensing matters or with landowners.
    So chronologically list qualifications relating to shooting/hunting/food-hygiene/first aid; any 'Best Practice' events or other days/training sessions by BACS, the DI, the NGO or the BDS; any other relevant key points.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

It is perfectly legal for someone who holds the shooting rights/ permission to shoot on a parcell of land to allow you to use his firearm as long as they are with you and you are under close supervision, so not a problem proving prior experience
    cheers
    Ray

Your referees should only be asked to vouch for your good character and thats all.Current applications only require you give the names of any referees, the police will then contact them if they see fit. Ian.