Thread: Pay Pal doesn't like guns!

Account Suspended

Unhappy Pay Pal doesn't like guns!

Just a heads up for those that have yet to catch this else where.

I have been following the recent reports in regards to irregular business transactions of a certain Mr Mark Golloghly over on AirgunBBS. http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454140. But its been doing the rounds on a number of forums.

What has also come to light is PayPals T&C's in regards to anything gun and firearm related.

I believe this to be the relevant clause.

"PayPal’s protection for buyers only applies to payments for certain tangible, physical goods. Payments for: intangibles, services, real estate, businesses, vehicles (including, without limitation, motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats), custom made items, airline flight tickets, eBay classified advertisements, items prohibited under our Acceptable Use Policy or licences and other access to digital content are not eligible under PayPal’s protections for buyers. Please also note that “Significantly Not as Described” Claims which are associated with a purchase of an item outside of eBay are not eligible for re-imbursement under PayPal’s protections for buyers unless the purchase was funded via your PayPal Account with PayPal Credit. Please also note that personal transaction payments are not eligible for re-imbursement under any of PayPal’s protection for buyers."https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?&...n%20Programmes

It certainly makes one reconsider non face to face purchases in light of such reports.
    Last edited by Emdoc; 12-05-2010 at 12:25.

But Paypal will take payment for all gun related products,as in the 2287 scopes advertized on flea-bay
    or the 314 sets of rings or the 11,637 targets on the UK site. I would hate to think what it accumulates to across the European union.
    On one hand they say they will not accept gun related items, but on the other they will take your money..

Must ber run by politicians!!

G

Account Suspended
    Or lawyers.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    PayPal, being owned by eBay, follow their Aacceptable Use Policy. My guess is that next thing they'll stop allowing knives to be purchased through PayPal.

willie_gunn

I recently tried to buy a Knife from a US site. The sale was blocked by ebay. I got the knife by contacting the selling company who shipped it no problem and i paid by Paypal. Be a bugger if they stop this as well.

Paypal have no need to know what you are paying for. Simply click on "goods", no description necessary. Conduct your transaction in private off ebay.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I got an e-mail recently, allegedly from ebay, saying they no allowed sale of "military items". If you follow the link in the e-mail, this seems to include such things as dies etc! Did anyone else get this?

Andrew

We would like to inform you we have changed our policy for military items. You may be affected by this since you recently listed in a military item related category.

Due to the change, the sale of items regulated by the US International Trade in Arms Regulations is now prohibited.

Please read our military items policy before you list such an item again.

You can also find more information on which items fall under the US International Trade in Arms in the US Munitions List.

Please ensure your listings for military items follow these guidelines. If they don't, they will be removed. You may then be subject to other actions, such as a limitation on your buying and selling privileges, suspension of your account, and/or referral of the matter to the police.

Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Yours sincerely,

eBay

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Andrew

Interesting - was this from eBay in the US or in the UK?

The US Munitions List (USML) relates primarily to military materiel. Where it has had an impact before, for example, is on long-range riflescopes. The USML refers to "riflescopes manufactured to military specifications", which is naturally wide open to interpretation. There is no list of specific scope models that are affected, but in the past it has covered scopes with mil-dot reticles, etc. If you check out http://www.exportlawblog.com/archives/520 you can see the farcical situations that can follow.

US companies are increasingly wary of exporting firearm-related materiel. Cabelas, for example, have been prosecuted a number of times for exporting scopes without a license - see http://efoia.bis.doc.gov/exportcontr...ions/e2082.pdf for example - and faced heavy fines as a consequence. This included export to such known trouble hotspots as Finland and Sweden!

It's a strange world that we live in.

willie_gunn

willie_gunn

The e-mail came from CSFEEDBACK@ebay.com, which looks like a US address? Anyway, it appears in "My eBay" under Messages, so it's presumably genuine. The only military-related item I've sold recently on eBay is a set of Hornady Lock'N'Load adaptors - not exactly likely to spark off WWIII...

Just prior to receiving the e-mail I bought a die from someone in the US without any problem (except the Royal Mail robbery fee!).

As you say, strange old world.

Andrew