Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Xtrail 2007- model

Nissan Xtrail 2007- model

Hi all,
    The exhaust has just gone on my trust Mitsubishi and it's desperately in need of a service. It's worth basically nothing so I'm looking at taking a loan and buying a used Xtrail. The one I'm looking at is the post 2007 model, top spec manual diesel and it's going for a very reasonable price. The mileage is just shy of 130k, so I wanted to ask does anybody have experience, good or bad, of that model Xtrail in terms of its high-mileage longevity. The car has a full service history and looks to be clean, although I haven't had a look in the flesh as it's some distance away.
    Any thoughts?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I am selling mine Simon, same model, full specs

Simon,
    I have an X-Trail and some experience of high mileage cars.
    X-Trail's seem pretty reliable although turbos are a bit of a weakness and any diesel turbo is likely to be on borrowed time beyond 125,000 miles IMO. I have just had a rear wheel bearing go on mine and because the nuts were so corroded they had to cut them off and replace the two hub link arms because they had cut the ends off so 200 job becomes 600 job. Also expect suspension work if not done as bushes, track rod ends etc... are all worn by c 120,000 miles.
    In other words condition (including what work has been done) is critical in higher mileage vehicles and is still no guarantee of reliability. If you don't mind spending some decent sums of money on repairs on a low value vehicle it can make sense as you don't have the hidden cost of significant depreciation and you don't have to worry too much if it gets a little punishment from off road use.
    Neal

Quote Originally Posted by mallettn View Post
    Simon,
    I have an X-Trail and some experience of high mileage cars.
    X-Trail's seem pretty reliable although turbos are a bit of a weakness and any diesel turbo is likely to be on borrowed time beyond 125,000 miles IMO. I have just had a rear wheel bearing go on mine and because the nuts were so corroded they had to cut them off and replace the two hub link arms because they had cut the ends off so 200 job becomes 600 job. Also expect suspension work if not done as bushes, track rod ends etc... are all worn by c 120,000 miles.
    In other words condition (including what work has been done) is critical in higher mileage vehicles and is still no guarantee of reliability. If you don't mind spending some decent sums of money on repairs on a low value vehicle it can make sense as you don't have the hidden cost of significant depreciation and you don't have to worry too much if it gets a little punishment from off road use.
    Neal
    Makes sense. So you're overall happy with your xtrail?
    I have a very skilled and honest diesel mechanic who I use and does more or less mate's rates, so having the odd bit of work done doesn't worry me much, as long as the overall build quality isn't prone to self destructing. A car that needs a 300 quid spent once a year is more desirable to me than one that needs 50 quid spending six times a year.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Simon, Sometimes better the devil you know. With hindsight, I wish I had spent the money to upgrade my Mitsi Pajero.(270,000 Kl).
    At 137,000 miles, if manual, think clutch, if its got a belt, timing belt, apart from all the wear and tear highlighted previously.
    Check out prices for your present vehicle with Milners off road in Derby, you might be pleasantly surprised. All that glitters.......
    However if you can buy from someone you know and trust and will stand behind what they are selling.....jc

Should have said, my Mitsu is a SpaceStar, not a 4x4. Its not especially high-mileage but is old and was only really intended as a stop gap between selling my motorbike and getting a better car for our needs.
    Blog

Simon,
    I am very happy with my X-trail because it is good on road and pretty capable off with decent fuel economy. This year is the first I have had significant repair bills - 2 hits: 1k in total. Mine is a 2005 model diesel with 116,000 miles so still quite low mileage!
    Neal

Blog Entries

Nissan Xtrail 2007- model

I have a 2013 xtrail Teckna manual diesel. Truly excellent car. I've done 53000 miles in from new.

Not the 100k plus miles you are looking at but its been great.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 17-12-2015 at 20:00.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

I had an earlier model with 60,000 on the clock and 1 owner. Pile of ****! First week the fuel pump had a problem. Booked in under warranty but on the second weekend the turbo let go. I got my money and old car back. Then got a 2 year old focus.

Well I've taken the plunge, so we'll see. Got a 57 plate with 125k on nearly immaculate given the mileage
    Blog