Thread: Export Control for NV

Export Control for NV

Hi all, I was hoping someone could advise on the following. I am due to go on holiday to South Africa. I was contemplating taking my thermal scope (should it not have sold by then I would keep it) on a trip to south africa with me. Have cousins and good friends whom are farmers and also hunters. Was hoping to use it abroad. Issue is I am recently advised that I may need an export control licence to take it with me, even for a holiday. Anyone have any experience of this?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Have a read of this: Purchasing a riflescope which requires an Export Licence

Don't rely on an internet forum, get expert advice!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I think the export licence is for people on holiday here buying a scope and exporting back to there country.

I recently was in Australia and bought a Vortex Viper scope. guy in the shop told me it's fine to take home, later found out that anything over X9 and image enhanced i.e night/thermal needed written permission from the defence department and customs.. thats what it said online.

I made a phone call and spoke to defence and customs and they told me i was fine to export my 4-16x scope no paper work needed along as it wasn't night/thermal.

I believe though since the item is purchased here by a UK citizen and the item will be returning and not being sold in another country to avoid Tax in that country, it should be fine possibly need some sort of Carnet form. but I would recommend a phone call to our customs office anyway.

Are you taking it on a Gun ? because believe it or not that is easier.

I travel to Canada yearly and take my rifle for deer season and any accessories are counted as the entire firearm, not separate so no forms needed for scopes etc.

Maybe look at taking your own gun for a hunt ?

Also check the laws and regs in SA for use of Thermal as its possible that certain regions may or may not allow it.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30-06hunter View Post
    I think the export licence is for people on holiday here buying a scope and exporting back to there country.
    Depending on the technology (for example items on the UK Military List, together with some Dual Use items) you may well need an export license even if you are taking the item abroad temporarily, for example whilst you are on holiday or on a business trip.

It is the technology that is subject to export control, not the individual person. The reason for the export control is the concern that the technology will fall, or be passed, into inappropriate hands. That's why the authorities want to know when and why it's been exported, even temporarily.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 19-12-2015 at 05:49.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!