Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello All

Hello All

I am Mike, currently live in Luton but relocating soon to Lincoln. I own .22 and .357 and have been shooting targets so far. I've recently got 7.62/.308 variation and now am thinking of getting the right gun for me - I am looking to target shoot but also try stalking. Advice on what gut is best value for money and for variety of uses will be highly appreciated. Also comments on military surplus rifles and their use for hunting will be interesting for me.
    Best wishes for the festive season,
    Mike

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome to the site, military surplus in that calibre will work well on larger deer might be a bit of overkill on munty or CWD, but will do the job

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Welcome to the site, military surplus in that calibre will work well on larger deer might be a bit of overkill on munty or CWD, but will do the job

Cheers
    Ray
    FMJ for deer? I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by Suffolk stalker View Post
    FMJ for deer? I don't think so!

I think he was referring to the style of the rifle rather than the ammo.

Thanks guys for your comments!
    Please, give me some advice about choosing a 7.62/.308 rifle. I am more interested in older models that are good value for money.

Mlitary surplus rifle,,,, the ammo needs to be expanding,,,read the post he was asking about the rifle calibre

My experience with 7.62 was the SLR but that was semi auto, so thats a no no, but you might pick up an old bolt action sniper rifle, get on guntrader see what is available
    yep just had a look on guntrader.com they have a few bolt action 7.62/308 starting with a mauser at 100
    good luck
    Ray
    Last edited by Ray7756; 19-12-2015 at 20:03.

308 will do fine for muntjac, there is no such thing as overkill. If you think you should use a smaller bullet you will only be reducing the diameter by a couple of mm, are you worried about 2mm of meat. I have shot munties with a centre fire 22 and a 30.06. Meat damage is far less with a large slower bullet, your quicker cartridges (22 or 243) will do far more harm to the animal.
    Last edited by Munty1; 20-12-2015 at 18:08.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..