Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning signs for Deer Managment .

Warning signs for Deer Managment .

Hi Folks
    We have been told by the landowner we have to display warning signs while we are out stalking , I have seen a few over the years but just wondered if anybody knew where would be the best place to buy these signs from or do you just get them made to your own design.
    We also have to put signs on all the High seats warning the public not to climb on them or words to that effect.
    So any help and nicely worded suggestions for these signs will be appreciated.
    Karl

On my high seats i have a notice that says "Not For Public Use". FM.

The forestry commision do one i could Email you a copy if you PM me your E mail adress
    Keith
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

The standard sign for high seats is 'No unauthorised use' or 'No unauthorsised persons beyond this point' Both have a red circle with a diagonal line through it with an outstretched hand, these are readily available in all sizes from any supplier of safety kit (Arco ect). The signage to say that you are stalking requires a bit more thought, I would not say something like 'DANGER SHOOTING IN PROGRESS' as you are telling people that shooting/stalking is dangerous which it isn't! Something like 'Please keep to public rights of way' is probably enough. JC

Quote Originally Posted by fallowm,oor View Post
    On my high seats i have a notice that says "Not For Public Use". FM.
    Yours should read, 'Not for taking down and burning!' shouldn't they?

Is it possible that displaying a sign stating shooting is in progress opens you up to admiting you know you could be creating a danger to the public, just a thought, NOT A CRITISEM, but I read once if you erect a sign stating 'dangerous dog' you are aware it could bite someone and are admiting you know it and acept liability. We live in a sue you society, I had a rear shunt 3 years ago and have had 9 companes pursue me on a no win no fee basis. I know the St Hubert club withdrew signs as people walked past them anyway, any leagel [professional] people out who can advise us on leagal aspects of signs etc. deerwarden.

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Is it possible that displaying a sign stating shooting is in progress opens you up to admiting you know you could be creating a danger to the public, just a thought, NOT A CRITISEM, but I read once if you erect a sign stating 'dangerous dog' you are aware it could bite someone and are admiting you know it and acept liability. We live in a sue you society, I had a rear shunt 3 years ago and have had 9 companes pursue me on a no win no fee basis. I know the St Hubert club withdrew signs as people walked past them anyway, any leagel [professional] people out who can advise us on leagal aspects of signs etc. deerwarden.
    Yes, thats pretty much what i was hinting at Deerwarden. Another example is signs saying 'Mud on Road' which effectively say that 'yes, we left the mud and can't be bothered to clear it up'. If Karls landlord just wants signs so that himself and farmworkers know that stalkers are out then something like a red/green flip over disc on a gate post would be best. JC

The old SAS saying.....KISS..

A simple sign saying "Stalking in Progress - keep to the footpath" should be perfect. You aren't saying it's "DANGEROUS" to be there, you aren't saying "KEEP OUT' and you aren't admitting any liability for anything that may happen. The onus of responsibility lies with the walker (especially if they have a dog off a lead) . After all you could be just photo stalking and don't want any undue disturbance to the wildlife.

Rocky
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple