Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad Day For The Miners

Account Suspended

Sad Day For The Miners

What a sad day for the miners in North Yorkshire. On the slag heap a week before Christmas and most might not work again.
    I bet Maggie is smiling whilst putting logs on the fires down below.

They were offered the mine to form a cooperative, and run it themselves, but its not viable?

the waste burner they are building next door needs to blow the exhaust down the mine to get rid of the nasties, odd the pit closed?

Just like all the small farmers that Margaret Becket and NuLab put out of business. "We are a rich country and can import our food(now coal), we don't need farmers(now miners)". Dennis Skinner said in Parliament that the hunting ban was nothing to do with cruelty, it was retaliation for the miners.

I have been mining since 85 but in 2009 I have been working in a mining museum it's a sad sad day for Britain when the last deep mine closes we still need coal but would rather buy it from other countries who subsidies their coal mines we are an island and can no longer look after ourselves we have no industry coal,iron , ship yards etc all we do today is punch keyboards on computers god forbid another world war we can't manage with out other nations

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    we are an island and can no longer look after ourselves we have no industry coal,iron , ship yards etc all we do today is punch keyboards on computers god forbid another world war we can't manage with out other nations
    Worrying, isn't it?

Very sad day for the Miners familys and community.
    especially at christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    What a sad day for the miners in North Yorkshire. On the slag heap a week before Christmas and most might not work again.
    I bet Maggie is smiling whilst putting logs on the fires down below.
    I believe that Labour (Tony Benn) closed most of the mines before Maggie got into power.

Why isnt it viable,how is it cheaper to import the coal?How does that work?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I believe that Labour (Tony Benn) closed most of the mines before Maggie got into power.
    The historical data shows that while 212,000 coal mining jobs were lost under the 1964-1970 Labour Government, under Mrs. Thatcher’s 1979-1990 government, the percentage decline in jobs was actually double that.

43 per cent of mining jobs went in the 1960s under Wilson while 80 per cent were lost under Thatcher. Also, as the trend rate of economic growth was lower under Thatcher than Wilson (just 2.8 per cent compared to 3.4 per cent) and unemployment was considerably higher throughout the 1980s than the 1960s, redundant miners had fewer alternative job options as a result of Mrs Thatcher’s stewardship of the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The historical data shows that while 212,000 coal mining jobs were lost under the 1964-1970 Labour Government, under Mrs. Thatcher’s 1979-1990 government, the percentage decline in jobs was actually double that.

43 per cent of mining jobs went in the 1960s under Wilson while 80 per cent were lost under Thatcher. Also, as the trend rate of economic growth was lower under Thatcher than Wilson (just 2.8 per cent compared to 3.4 per cent) and unemployment was considerably higher throughout the 1980s than the 1960s, redundant miners had fewer alternative job options as a result of Mrs Thatcher’s stewardship of the industry.
    43% of what and 80% of what?