Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What rifle do I buy?

What rifle do I buy?

Hi all,

im new to the shooting world, but have wanted to get a rifle for a while. I'm one of those people who obsesses about something for a while, finds out all the info I need to know, then something comes along and I forget about it. As this is the 3rd round for the "I want to get my FAC and learn" obsession, I feel I've paid my dues to have it.
    So, I've looked at a few rifles and their costs, ammunition and costs, licensing (and usually more costs), and think I want something along the lines of a mosin (ammunition a cheap, easy to maintain etc) or a lever action .357/.44 (still cheap rounds and they look pretty interesting). However, I realise that in saying "I want this" without having ever owned or even fired one. So what's everyones thoughts, opinions or suggestions? Does anyone have any experience with anything like these?

thanks

alex

Join a local shooting club and try some different guns there before you think about buying

Out of interest, what will you be using the rifle(s) for? I'm guessing by your choices targets?
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Nice to want but do you have "good reason" to own? wont get a licence just because you would like one - good luck though

Thanks for the replies, Greener Jim, I'm ideally looking to stalk as soon as I can, and have had an invite to a muntjac and fallow cull early next year. I like the sustainability of stalking, ie no factory farmed meat etc, but this is not my primary reason for wanting to stalk. I fully intend to practice proper shooting competence, so will log a considerable amount of range and stalk witnessing before ever being behind the rifle, but would just like to know what is a well review rifle for this purpose, whilst being cost effective to keep (ammunition + rifle cost)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Join a local shooting club and try some different guns there before you think about buying
    +1. Depending on which bit of 'South Wales' you're in you could join Monmouth & District Rifle Club and have the opportunity to fire a number of different rifles - including lever-action gallery rifles. You could also pick the brains of some experienced folk with a wealth of knowledge.

S/H tikka T3 in .308 cheap and cheerful quality rifle , the caliber is fine for target and deer

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    S/H tikka T3 in .308 cheap and cheerful quality rifle , the caliber is fine for target and deer
    Not a bad choice of rifle. Definitely recommend .308. Cheap readily available ammo for practice, hunting ammo available in every gunshop!

Quote Originally Posted by AlMai View Post
    Thanks for the replies, Greener Jim, I'm ideally looking to stalk as soon as I can, and have had an invite to a muntjac and fallow cull early next year. I like the sustainability of stalking, ie no factory farmed meat etc, but this is not my primary reason for wanting to stalk. I fully intend to practice proper shooting competence, so will log a considerable amount of range and stalk witnessing before ever being behind the rifle, but would just like to know what is a well review rifle for this purpose, whilst being cost effective to keep (ammunition + rifle cost)
    Ok. Well licensing issues put to one side for now since it sounds like you've looked in to it a fair bit (if you would like to discuss it more feel free to PM me) I would start by saying that neither of the two cartridges/rifles you suggest are particularly suitable for stalking.
    The 357 Magnum, although legal for muntjac, is nowhere near high enough in energy for Roe and up, thus precluding fallow.
    The 44 Magnum, can be made legal for all deer species in England and Wales.
    The Mosin, although suitable in regards the cartridge it uses, is not what would be deemed a good stalking rig.

You would also have problems in finding suitable hunting ammunition for the 357, 44 or indeed the 7.62x54r

To to keep costs down may I suggest a Parker Hale in .270. They will do everything you require and are very economical to purchase. Ammunition varies substantially in cost but if Prvi Parresan groups properly in your rifle there is very little outlay there. Even with more expensive factory ammunition, £1-2 a bang is hardly excessive and is unfortunately a part of the hobby.
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 18-12-2015 at 21:34.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

I think you'll find a lever action .357/.44 cannot be legally used for deer stalking.. There are legal requirements of suitable bullets also muzzle velocity and muzzle energy that have to be met with firearm & ammunition in order to hunt deer.
    Others on here are dead right though - join a club and start learning to handle & shoot correctly first.
    Move on as competence and cash permit.
    Cheers, d
    Last edited by deeangeo; 18-12-2015 at 21:57.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!