Intro

Yan_k

Hello all,

I am new to deer stalking although have been shooting both rifle and shotgun for a number of years. I left the Army last year and now live up in Aberdeenshire, so ideal for Roe shooting. I hope to learn a lot from the vast experience of members on the forum. Im just waiting for my .243 variation to come back but doubt it'll be this side of Christmas. So at the moment I'm in the market for a scope, Swarovski have always seemed very clear and draw light brilliantly so of one comes up for the right price.....

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and all the best for the new year.

Hello Yan_K, welcome to the forum

Swaros are very nice, but i always find the image has a bit of a green tinge. I like the S & B scopes as the colours are more true. What works for one pair of eyes is going to be different for others i suppose!

Hope variation comes in soon - what rifle are you looking at?

Mick

Hello! Thank you for the replies and recommendations. Maybe I need to compare Swarovski and S&B side by side. I have looked at, and wouldn't rule out S&B. I just found Swarovski very clear but in all honesty that was looking through one outside whilst the S&B was indoors.

I have been looking at Steyr Manlichers. Lovely looking rifles and I've been told a lot of good about them. Leaning towards wooden stock but I can see the advantages of synthetic.

Firearms officer has been in touch and says the variation shouldn't be a problem, just need to provide a written letter stating acreage of land I have and details of previous experience I have with high power rifles (all of which he knows but I think it must be a formality as I've had an fac for over 10 years).

Welcome to the site Yan,

Any chance you are of Greek descent? If so hows life long time no see. Was chatting to Ben about you the other day. If not... embarrassing....

Sam

I certainly am of Greek descent.....how the heck are you buddy?! It has been a long time. I never knew you were into stalking? So you're up near Aboyne now? I hope you had a great Christmas and all the best for the new year.

Welcome to the forum, dont forget to have a look at zeiss scopes and also swarovski habich, the habich can be picked up at a fraction of the price and opticaly are every bit as good
Cheers
Ray

Thanks for the advice Ray. I've also heard good things about them. I've seen a few fixed mag scope going for a good price and in all honesty thats all I need to get going. Unless someone has some good advice on why a variable mag scope would be better?

Back