Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roe doe weights this season

roe doe weights this season

I shot a doe on Thursday it is in the larder now weighed exactly 20 kilo when I put it in. most years Does weigh in at 15 to 18 kilos .
    Is it just the mild weather that is allowing them to keep this much extra weight on or is this just an exceptional animal.

The weather. Loads of fat on them for the time of year.

Shot a few in the past 2 weeks, the amount of fat on them is staggering. Heaviest 22kg larder weight.

Sounds like we may be in for a lot of snow and cold weather come Jan and Feb. Hope I am moved to me new house by then. Don't feel like pushing snow to get out of my house, just yet.

I agree that Does are heavier this year than normal due I believe to the mild season. I have certainly found more fat than normal in my Wiltshire roe. However it would be helpful if 'posters' could clarify if the weight is in the skin or is it butcher weight, or larder weight, (full gralloch, skin off and head and feet gone). Thanks folks.
    (Accepting the description of Larder weight by 'Shootgun)
    Last edited by Jezza308; 19-12-2015 at 18:24. Reason: clarification

Yes, my does have been noticeably heavier this year.. Largest so far was 42b larder weight. Most of this excess weight was in a lot of pure fat around the kidneys along with a layer over the haunches and saddle, looked more like a fallow in terms of where the fat was.

Absolutely covered in fat here in Ayrshire some right beasts amongst them

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza308 View Post
    I agree that Does are heavier this year than normal due I believe to the mild season. I have certainly found more fat than normal in my Wiltshire roe. However it would be helpful if 'posters' could clarify if the weight is in the skin or is it butcher weight, or larder weight, (full gralloch, skin off and head and feet gone). Thanks folks.
    Most recent roe doe: larder weight 46lb.

Deer up here in the highlands have been showing a steady weight stags this year where up to around 15,6stone average even through the rut they stayed strong weights

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza308 View Post
    True description of larder weight is as, you say but with skin on.