Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 hornet recipe

.22 hornet recipe

Well I've finally got my press kit so that I can start reloading my hornet, I'm off this morning to hopefully buy the consumables and am looking for a good starting point with regards to powder, bullets and primers, my gun is a weihrauch and am looking at producing a nice consistent load, any advice would be great fully received. I will either be going to Daunsey Guns of Wiltshire shooting centre if this helps, kind regards Tom

Only my recommendations.

Powder - Hodgdons Lilgun 12gr +
    Bullets - 35gr Hornady VMAX for varmints or 45gr for anything bigger.
    cases - stay away from Selleior and Bellot as they have really tight flash holes. I use Winchester and Hornady brass.
    dies - get a set of neck sizing dies and a Lee factory Crimp die.
    Primers- small Pistol primers provide better accuracy, I have used CCI 400 small rifle primers as these will do if you can't get any pistol primers.

Best of luck.

Hi Tom. I have the same rifle. I use hornady ballistic tips in 35 grains. I do have some 40 grains bt but because they are longer they won't fit the magazine. I use privi brass. ( seems good so far) hodgen lil gun powder and pistol primers. What I would suggest if you don't have them already is a case neck expander die and a factory crimp die. It makes seating the heads easier and you get a nice consistent neck tension.
    I worked up to a load of 12 grains of powder and found this most consistent in my gun but obviously that is mine and not yours so please work up from the minimum powder weight and follow the loading manual. Hope this helps and have fun.
    Regards Pete

Either shop has a good stock but Paul wt WSS took delivery of a load of hornady, Sierra, and nosler bullets over the last couple of weeks. He has 35 & 40 gr v-max, nosler 40 gr HP & ballistic tip plus 40&45 gr Hollow, soft point and blitzking offerings from Sierra plus plenty of lil gun .

As for a recipe I like the 35 gr v-max as the gun was bought as a HMR replacement and they are fast (3050 fps from my CZ), flat and very explosive, they haven't got a particularly good BC so if you want to stretch the range to 150 + I'd go for a heavier bullet. Powder wise lil gun is all I've used as it works, primers I use federal but CCI work just as well in other cal's just the hornet came with load data for fed's.

If you check Hogdgons site they give a start load of 12gr and max load of 13gr for all bullets but watch the overall length as it varies. Not sure on the HW's but CZ mags are pretty restrictive length wise so without modification 40 gr Tipped rounds are single feed as they won't fit the mag.

Personally I'd try the 35 gr v-max first with lil gun and work up in .1 or .2 gr increments, my 35 gr load is seated at 1.719" but you'll have to play with this to find what suits your rifle.

I would avoid Selliot and bellot brass as it takes a lot of work before you can load it (mouth needs flaring to size and primer hole needs expanding as its punched) there isn't a great deal of Hornet brass about locally a the moment, if you get stuck for brass give me a shout!

Hi there,

my own recipe and performance :-

Lil-gun powder ( Alway Lil-gun)
    35 grain Vmax 13.6 grains of power (full case) 3196ftps (This bullets has a crap BC and is utter ***** in the wind) 0.25MOA accuarcy or better!

40 grain Vmax 13.4 grains of powder for 3080ftps (This IMO is the best bullet for the .22 Hornet, has the best BC and is great out to 300 yards when dialing in, best bullet in the wind for longer range performance and maintained energy. The only down side is that you will have to modify the mag in order to magazine feed them, you can still single load them if you wish but modifying the mag is simple enough. This bullet was also the most accurate putting 1 x raggered hole groups in at 100 yards. 0.25 MOA or less!

I also tried the 50 grain SPSX bullet (Hornady) in my 1/16 twist CZ, accuracy was around 0.75MOA. I think this was bordering line on stability. 13.2 grains of powder producing 2983ftp.....almost 1000ftlb!

Hope this helps you out mate, any questions just ask.

Steve

I'm with 247S on the load. I load 13.5 of Lil Gun behind a 34 or 35 grain bullet and with Winchester brass, it is a full case -right to the brim. Many people stop at a lesser charge because seating a bullet onto a full case of powder makes them nervous. No worries there. If yoyu look at the 35 grain V-Max loads between H-110 (another excellent powder for the Hornet) and Lil Gun, you can see that Lil Gun operates at only 57% of the pressures of H-110. This makes it trouble free to load and easy on the brass and your rifle. I have a friend who loads Hornet/35 grain V-Max by pouring the primed case full of Lil Gun, carding off the excess, and seating a bullet. His pretty wife shoots half MOA with his CZ. I remember when Lil Gun first got into the Hornet data bank and Hodgdon listed 14 grains as a max. They reduced it because only Remington brass would hold that much powder and too many people were calling them, asking if their data was correct.

For loading: I use a Lee collet die to neck size, trim the cases to a uniform length, flare the case mouth with a Lee Universal Neck flaring die, prime, charge, seat to just under magazine length and then put on a healthy crimp. Shoots like this most of the time.

Hard to beat.~Muir

Muir very kindly talked me through reloading for the hornet when I first got mine and it gave results far beyond what I thought possible. Do as he suggests and you will get great results

Thanks everyone for all the advise, thanks boydy, I visited Wiltshire shooting centre in the end as it is only 20 minutes from home, Paul is a great guy and gave me a lot of helpful advise. I ended up coming home with Nosler 40 grain ballistic tips and lil gun powder, as for brass I have luckily kept all my hornady factory brass so plenty to use, hopefully next week I can start my journey into home loading and produce a nice consistent round to deal with Charlie. Thanks Steve for the advice, you mention modifying the magazine but exactly how do you go about it?
    Last edited by Wylyetom; 19-12-2015 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylyetom View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the advise, thanks boydy, I visited Wiltshire shooting centre in the end as it is only 20 minutes from home, Paul is a great guy and gave me a lot of helpful advise. I ended up coming home with Nosler 40 grain ballistic tips and lil gun powder, as for brass I have luckily kept all my hornady factory brass so plenty to use, hopefully next week I can start my journey into home loading and produce a nice consistent round to deal with Charlie. Thanks Steve for the advice, you mention modifying the magazine but exactly how do you go about it?
    You may not need to mate with a 40 grain Nosler. See how you get on and come back to me if you need to bud.

Once you get a load developed you can think about casting your own bullets, I cast 44gr bullets in a lyman mould and use H110 powder, and they keyhole if I do my part
    casting is easy and can be done cheaply, scrap lead, pure tin and antimony, an old pot and a gas burner and of course the mould , oh and a lubrisizer is the dearest bit, total set up can be kept under 150 if you get second hand kit, that includes buying the lead tin and antimony
    Cheers
    Ray